Chances at UBC Nursing?

LumosEcho

Hey guys!

When I entered the IB, I had absolutely no idea about what I wanted to study in university.

I ended up choosing Chemistry HL because I thought it would be a good idea if I ever decided to go into sciences. However, I recently switched to Chem SL because I found the course too difficult. As well, instead of taking another science, I decided to take Theatre HL because it is one of my passions. Not the best course combination, I know.

After volunteering during a spring break camp for younger kids, I realized that I really enjoy taking care of kids and that I could consider a career involving this. So I thought about maybe going into nursing or becoming a child psychologist (I'm also taking Psych HL).

Since I will not be having IB Biology under my belt, I'm planning on taking Bio 12 (human biology) during summer school (and not Bio 11, which focuses on plant/animal biology).

I live in Vancouver, and after switching to Chem SL I was determined to apply to the Faculty of Arts at UBC. Nursing at UBC starts during 3rd year, so would it be acceptable to complete my first and second years in Arts? Or would it be better to apply to UBC Science? That seems more beneficial. Does it matter which one I do? As long as I complete the prereqs for Nursing, entering Arts should be fine, right?

My grades are quite poor right now; I'm two thirds through IB Year 1, and my grades range from 3s to 5s (my lowest being Chem). I'm aiming to work much harder and to obtain at least a 5 in every course now, and I think that it would be a miracle if I managed to even get into the UBC Faculty of Arts. UBC Science seems impossible for me with my mediocre Chem marks at this point, and the C+ I obtained from Physics 11 during summer school. I'm also not too great at Math SL...Perhaps I shouldn't consider this career path?

I'm a total newb when it comes to uni matters, so any advice from you guys is much appreciated! :)

*note: Whoops, I realized that this would have been more suitable for the University section; my apologies!

Edited by LumosEcho

I am not in DP yet, and I cannot share my opinion on how important the subjects are. However, I was present when a presenter from UBC came to our school. He said Medicine is very difficult to get into and only the very best are successful. You really have to be superb to get in because of the competition. I'd recommend that you keep your options open. :)

I'm aware that McMaster gives the option to students to do Arts for 4 years and then choose to do Medicine. :)

Edited by RainAL
  • Like 1