Need tips in french

JonathanL

I've recently been accepted in the IB program for next year... At one condition, I get more than 75% in writing (it's gonna be an opinion text 600 words). I'm especially bad in grammar, do you have any tips to improve my writing in french?

I currently have an average of 57% in french

My exam is next week.

Edited by JonathanL

Im assuming your handwriting task is a Paper 2 type task, in which case the aim is to produce a document or piece of literature that seems authentically French ie if it was put in French shops, libraries or wherever it would pass for a french piece of literature. In which case it's important to learn the different text formats and the features associated with it. There are usually 5+ features associated.

Journal intime (diary entry):

- date
- a salutation (ex. Cher journal) Naming your journal is also good eg (Cher Teddy)
- Tu form throughout
- talk about your feelings...this is a good opportunity to use the subjunctive! (ex. je suis fache(e) que...)
- closing (ex. bisous, a bientot, etc.)
- your name/signature (you can make it up)

Lettre amicale (friendly/ informal letter):

- date
- address of the recipient (make it up)
- salutation (ex. Cher Bob
- Tu form throughout
- informal closing (ex. bisous, a bientot)
- your signature
- your name

Lettre formelle (formal letter):

- date, location
- address of recipient and your address
- Objet : (1 or 2 lines why you're writing the letter)
- formal salutation (a qui de droit, etc.)
- use a formal tone throughout [vous form throughout] (don't use colloquial expressions, slang, short forms, etc.)
- formal closing (je vous prie l'expression de mes sentiments distingues, sincerement, + if appropiate "dans l'attent de vous lire" )
- your signature
- your name

Article

-Headings
-Sub-Headings
-Vous form throughout
-Pictures (optional)
-Par.... (name)

Brochure

-Headings
-Sub-Headings
-Vous form throughout
-Bullet points
-Contact details

Speeches

-Discous pour devant...
-Address people (Mes comrades/mes amis/ mes collegues)
- Headings
-Sub-headings
-Vous throughout
- Ending (eg Merci de m'avoir ecoute)
-Signature

As for grammar you'll just need to practice the rules, and ask your teacher for help. There's quite a few websites and resources dedicated to French grammar such as: http://www.french-li...r/#.USjt8sXmgUQ

Just keep practising, like for example my French teacher advises us to watch French media and read French newspapers and convey the information in one of the text types. I.e read a newspaper article on xyz and create a brochure expressing xyz not forgetting to include the five text types.

http://www.ibsurviva...french +journal

Hope this helps.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

I suggest you polish all you tenses to begin with. understand and learn conditionel, subjonctif etc.. for a journal intime the conditionel tense is really important. you should obviously practise as many tasks as you can and show it to your teacher for feedback or post it here for feedback. thats what i do. that way you will know where you stand and what u need to work on. Also, try not using google translate! trust me its not a good habit. and and i usually do journal intime so i well-versed with french proverbs, thats really important. or you can just make up your own metaphors!. examiners like students who have their own metaphors. Again in case of a journal intime, you MUST use argot francais/ francais familier for instance u cud use kiffer instead of aimer. but never use francais familier in a formal letter or in an article or a speech unless ofcourse u are asked to. For formal stuff like letters, speeches and articles do not forget to have the format in ure head cuz thatll fetch 5 marks instantly.. format includes the closing-lines of the letter idk what they are called. yeah so these are things that i cud think of. ill post if i get something new. i know my response must be confusing cuz i just typed what i thought. haha