Interest in Economics

Hello!

I apologise that this is the first topic I am making on this forum but I just needed to ask people this: why exactly do you like Economics? Or even if you don't, what is your motivation to study it? Because my exams are coming up in 3 months and I found myself utterly unmotivated to study it anymore. Obviously, I don't want to fail and realise that I need to study but I think finding out about what motivated other people to study it, what it is that they find exciting about the subject, will help me even more. And potentially other students just as well.

I actually have a passing interest in economics, and sort of regret not taking it in IB instead of geography. So I would recommend trying to just study and study and study by the syllabus point, do practice problems. But if you can't motivate yourself enough through simple fear, just try and relax and read more widely on economics. I'd suggest Freakonomics, or if you go to the 'non-fiction' section of your local bookstore, you'll probably find lots of wacky pseudo-economics books about psychology or sociology with an economics (or usually a behavioural/microeconomic approach). That should be interesting enough, and facilitate some economics-style thinking in a less onerous context. Otherwise, getting down and studying is probably the only way to do it. It's painful, oh so very painful, but that's the way IB likes to treat their students, clearly.

I got a 7 in Economics HL and I can tell you that I was never motivated to study the subject either. My interest in the subject was transient at best. But I was very motivated and very interested to get into the university of my choice and to do that, I needed at least a 6/7 in Economics HL, so I studied for it.

Not every subject that we study in the IB motivates us or is even remotely interesting to us, but we study anyway because we look beyond the subject and the one IB exam - the bigger picture of where we want to go and what we want to be is too fantastically important to jeopardise or hazard over a single, exam score turning sour due to disinterest.

Look at what you will be losing out on if you don't do well in the subject and if you're still not motivated, it means that whatever prize you've placed for yourself at the end of the tunnel is not that appealing to you anyway. Ergo, you lack motivation altogether.