Economics IA article help?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of doing my Econ IA on fossil fuels, and how as they run out (scarce resource with negative externalities) they should be replaced with renewable energy.

I was thinking of this article:

http://www.care2.com/causes/renewable-energy-is-actually-cheaper-than-coal-and-gas-in-australia.html

Could any of you look at it and give me an idea of what I can analyze economically in the article? Meaning, how can I translate this to a microeconomics IA?

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm not a big fan of the article. I think the tone is a little bit too casual and personally for me, I guess it'd be better if the source is from a more official media like BBC, CNN or any newspaper.

The article itself talks quite a bit about how renewable energy is cheaper than fossil fuels. However, i

f you need to put it into a micro IA, i think rather than how fossil fuels should be replaced, you can look at how market failure is reduced if renewable energy sources are used instead.

I guess in demand and supply terms you can also look at cross-priced elasticity, although I'm not sure how one will be able to choose energy from a renewable energy supplier or a fossil fuel energy supplier.

Another perspective might be looking at the market structure of energy providers, but this doesn't seem to be a good article for it.

HL Economics Predicted grade 6.

Hope this helps~

• Like 1

I don't think there's much in the syllabus you can actually talk about- perhaps substitute goods and taxing (carbon taxing). Other than that, I don't really see much economic analysis you could pull out of it. Then you have some types of energies being cheaper or more expensive than other types, and I guess you could say something about elasticity there, but that seems beyond the scope of the article and not enough to interpret to make a good IA.