What do you mean by the cultural and contextual context of a novel?

IBchicken

Probably the political and economic scenario, and also the author's life and history. Like for example, many of the novels we studied in my school were analysed heavily based on the wars that were going on before or during that period, or how the writer's past affected the plot progression,etc.

Contextual would mean what are the cultural factors that influence the author's work. So, an author from japan would be using phrases or idioms that we wouldn't understand. Therefore knowing the cultural-socio-political nature of the book is very important in understanding what context is the author talking about. Basically, how the cultures, societies, norms and other factors play an influential role in understanding of the text. Hope this helps.

What exactly do we have to do for an oral arguement/debate. I have mine on Monday and Im doing the book - The Outsider by Albert Camieu.

Help is required :P

What could I be talking about? One of the main themes here is existentialism and absurdism.

Hey!

Nobody here knows what your debate is about. A debate means that you get a topic either on the spot or in advance to prepare and then argue for or against the proposed statement(s).

As far as I know, there is no formalised debate component for IB English, so this might be something that your teacher is doing to drum up some interest and maybe help you more thoughtfully consider some of the deeper aspects of the book you're studying.

Anyway, if you give us a little more background as to what your debate is about, we might be able to help you out.

It's about: How Albert Camieu has created a very descriptive approach in the language of the book and what we have to say about it? how does it affect the reader's feelings and thoughts about the book etc/

See, the thing is I don't really see how it's a 'debate'. Is there one side arguing that the book is descriptive, and the other side saying that the author is useless in their use of descriptive language? I'd say it's impossible to argue the latter. Therefore, I think what is really happening is a 'discussion', where people have a variety of views rather than simply a for/against thing.

Not having read the book, I can only give generalised advice, but don't try and over-prepare. Consider your themes (I think your themes are appropriately sophisticated), write down a few dot-points and evidence to support the development in that theme, and turn up and bring yourself to the debate-y/talk-y thing.