Is Psychology really a practical subject?

robemack8

Hey guys,

I'm currently in y11 in my school and the time has come to pick my IB subjects, as you might see form the topic heading I am intrested in taking psychology although I'm not sure if it's really a practical/useful subject to take. I'd like to do Psychology in HL it is an online course provided to my school from Pamoja Education, i'm questioning if this is a reasonable subject to take along with the question of the added difficulty of an online course, if someone could advise me that'd be great.

I can give you my 2 cents. I think psychology is useful for several reasons. For one it involves the study of behavior which I think should be important to most people. Questions like why do we do what we do are intrinsically interesting.

The more important reason is that IB psychology makes you a good consumer of research. You should be taught to look at the pros and cons of all theories and methods of investigation so you can decide whether to 'believe' the conclusions drawn by academics. This is important because too often people just blindly accept information from researchers as gospel without questioning the validity of their methods and logic.

So if you think being a good consumer of research is in your interest and are curious about why human beings behave the way that they do then you should take it.

As for the online thing, it is tricky. I had many teachers who were inexperienced but I had the determination and resourcefulness to turn to the internet and IBS to get the knowledge and answers that I needed to succeed. If you think of yourself as an autodidact then I wouldn't let the online course thing stop you, if you worry about having the discipline to do further research if the online course offers insufficient explanations then I would consider taking another non-online subject.

Psychology is relevant to most subjects, and creates life skills: the ability to 'read' people, better understand them etc. I especially find it helpful in ToK as you can explain some of the stuff that others claim to 'not know' for example. I enjoy it lots too, so I may be a lil biased ;)

All in all I think it's a great subject

Psychology is also inter-linked to several other subjects you might be taking. It helps us understand how the human mind basically works which I think is very interesting to learn. In fact, Psychology has sparked my interest in the subject and I'm planning to major in psych in uni.

It's a great subject and you should definitely take it up! :yes:

Edited by IBchicken