[Language B Internals] Explanation

Guest protub

Hi guys,

I have my Language B internals in a few months, and was wondering what was exactly in it. I have yet to speak with my Language B organiser as I am doing a self taught language.

I understand that there there is an oral (photo) component, written assignment and interactive.

Could anyone briefly explain the three parts please?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Won't take long, Shad0wboss :P

Written Assignment - a long essay, essentially. I forget how characters equates to words, but I think for word based languages (Japanese is counted in characters) it's about 400 words you have to write. You'll have a few lessons to write this in controlled conditions. You'll be given three paper based sources - maybe a web page, an article, etc. You need to use these three sources, WITHOUT DIRECTLY QUOTING THEM. So just use the information but rephrase/fit it into your own sentences. After using a lesson to read these sources and accustom yourself to the task, you choose a topic and a text type. And then it begins! You also need to write a 100 word (?) rationale saying what your assignment is about, which sources inspired you, why you chose that task, how happy you are with it, what changes you would make. Basically, fit as much of that into ~100 words as you can. Kinda like an EE Abstract.

The orals are simpler.

Individual Oral - Marked out of 20 for language B, with 10 marks for production of language and 10 marks for receptive and interactive skills (understanding and responding.) You will have 15 minutes preparation time with a previously unseen photograph based on a topic you are doing. Probably will have 2 choices. My choices were health and leisure, and I chose to do the picture with a load of Japanese people doing radio exercises instead of the Karaoke leisure photo. In the oral itself, you have to spend about 3-4 minutes presenting about the picture. This essentially has to be a detailed description of the picture, don't go off on a tangent. Say who is in the photo, what's in the background, what they're doing, what they're wearing. You can even make up names for the people and say what happened before/after! After this, your teacher will have a 'discussion' with you for about 6 minutes by asking you a load of questions about your topic. Eg, 'how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle' 'what healthy foods do you eat'.

Interactive Oral - same criteria as the individual, but halved, so it is out of 10. Basically, you'll have a group with 3 or so other people, maybe give or take one. You'll be given an issue/ conversation set up that means you are all there to discuss the same thing. Essentially, the teacher will sit and listen to you have a conversation with your group for about X minutes, where X = number of people in your group x 2, generally :P my group yesterday was 4 people and we were told to aim for 8-10 minutes. To score highly, you need to have accurate, varied and sophisiticated language/grammar, with hardly any hesitation. You also need to invite other people to talk and let the conversation flow instead of one person dominating.

• Like 4

No worries :) in particular for the orals, I found that a useful tactic is set phrases. Obviously, you can't plan it exactly because you don't know what's gonna come up, but you'll know the topics, and what sort of questions are gonna come up. So you can definitely give yourself an advantage by preparing and memorising some set phrases or vocab, such as grammar structures to do with describing what is in a photo/people are wearing, and phrases you might use in response to questions (I for instance was set to talk about smoking rooms that are in Japanese stations, and how stress builds up, and link the two, just unfortunately the discussion swung in the way of eating and exercise :P) you can swing the conversation where you want, though. If they ask you your opinion on healthy eating, for example, and you've got a good set phrase about why you think smoking is bad, you can answer saying 'I think healthy eating is very important, as I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I also make sure I exercise, and I don't smoke. This is because smoking -all your preset stuff- ' should help :)

No worries, happy to answer any question it's within my power to.

• Like 1

I see, that makes logical sense. I will definitely integrate to my preparation for my oral.

I guess I am just a wee bit nervous for my written assignment, as I am quite fluent in my speech but write in quite a conversational manner. So my writing skills are a bit undeveloped.

Anyhow, thanks again!

I suppose that you can benefit from that and choose a topic that can be written using informal language. I don't know what your language is and what book you're reading but since it's totally up to you what you write about, it's better to choose for example an informal letter written by 15-years old character than formal speech given by a lawyer.

Written Assignment - a long essay, essentially. I forget how characters equates to words, but I think for word based languages (Japanese is counted in characters) it's about 400 words you have to write. You'll have a few lessons to write this in controlled conditions. You'll be given three paper based sources - maybe a web page, an article, etc. You need to use these three sources, WITHOUT DIRECTLY QUOTING THEM. So just use the information but rephrase/fit it into your own sentences. After using a lesson to read these sources and accustom yourself to the task, you choose a topic and a text type. And then it begins! You also need to write a 100 word (?) rationale saying what your assignment is about, which sources inspired you, why you chose that task, how happy you are with it, what changes you would make. Basically, fit as much of that into ~100 words as you can. Kinda like an EE Abstract.

This is correct for the B SL subjects, but I think there are some variation for those taking Language B HL. At least at my school, the B HL student had read a book, and wrote something related to that book. HL students also have to write a longer text (the length is increased by 200 words) and a longer rationale (should be approximately 150 words). I'm not sure if the oral tasks are different.

Edited by alefal

This is correct for the B SL subjects, but I think there are some variation for those taking Language B HL. At least at my school, the B SL student had read a book, and wrote something related to that book. HL students also have to write a longer text (the length is increased by 200 words) and a longer rationale (should be approximately 150 words). I'm not sure if the oral tasks are different.

Right, it's only for B SL. So what I wrote above about choosing a topic was useful in case of language B HL only, Sorry I automatically assumed you do it ;d As to orals it seems that they're pretty much the same for both levels.

@alefal HL students read books, I'm sure that's what you meant but you've written this wrong ;p