Hi! I'm starting my first IA for SL bio, and I have a question. On the rubric my teacher gave us, it says we need a "protocol diagram". My teacher said this is a flow chart of your procedure, but from looking at sample IA's online, this seems incorrect (and my teacher is kind of clueless).

So can anyone explain to me exactly what a protocol diagram is?

Thank you so much!

Hmmm, I'm sure someone who's in bio will reply here too, but I'll just throw in my opinion and my experience from Physics here:

Did some research (like you), and here's what I concluded.

Each IB lab for science consists of Design, DCP (data collection & processing), and CE (Conclusion & Evaluation).

Now, for Physics we always did need a sketch of any experimental set up, since it's pretty important. This might be what your teacher is referring to.

However, this is not an officially listed IB criteria in Design (but I highly recommend it, at least to any Physics students.)

In the end, I think it's always best to go with your teachers criteria, even if that is more than what IB might require... Besides, you can moderate your labs before they are sent off to IB.

Sorry to be of little help here, but I'm just speakin from Physx experience here, but I'm sure someone who took Bio will reply too. :D

Edited by freezy19
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I take biology HL and have not heard of this before but after some research I found this,

Protocol Diagram (When appropriate) – draw & label a diagram which best shows the major protocol(s) you used. Make sure to show how control group(s) differ from experimental group(s).

its basically just an extra step in your procedure. You don't have to write it. but, it may make your report look nicer...

its basically just an extra step in your procedure. You don't have to write it. but, it may make your report look nicer...

I agree with this, there'd be no harm in doing one and it might make your IA look better because it'll show a really thorough understanding of the scientific method etc. ...and also your teacher will be giving out the internal marks which may or may not end up being moderated, so you should try to please them to a certain extent. You'd definitely not be marked down for making a flow-chart of how your experiment is structured, and it's not too much extra effort, so I'd just do it.