Entrance test for IBMYP.. how to prepare?

Guest crosby

Hi all,

I am very glad to have found this forum while browsing info about IB entrance test. I am a worried mom of my son who is trying to help him prepare to write his entrance test for IBMYP program for Gr 6 at WG Davis middle sc, Brampton, Canada. I am sorry if some of you might not like a mom to have joined this forum , but I promise that after my son is accepted in the IB program, it shall be him chatting with you all.

While reading over various posts, I found that you all are really working hard to achieve your goals and at the same time helping each other. Keep up the good work and all the best!!

I registered as Crosby... as my son is a great fan of his and ice hockey is his passion. Ok so something about my son—he is a bright student, scored 99 percentile in CCAT in Gr 4 and now is in the process of being considered as gifted. He is currently in Gr 5 and applying for IBMYP for Gr. 6 at WG Davis,Brampton, Canada. He is a fast learner and loves to read. He always scores A’s and A+’s . He is keen to get into IBMYP or some other regional program.

What I need help with is—how should my son prepare for the entrance test. He has to write a written response. I am not sure what level of writing do they expect?? Is there anyone who can help him by giving some advice???

I shall really appreciate any tips and advices. Many Thanks to all who read this post.

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't use chatspeak on the forum. Type words out in full, as per forum rules. Thank-you.

Hi all,

I am very glad to have found this forum while browsing info about IB entrance test. I am a worried mom of my son who is trying to help him prepare to write his entrance test for IBMYP program for Gr 6 at WG Davis middle sc, Brampton, Canada. I am sorry if some of you might not like a mom to have joined this forum , but I promise that after my son is accepted in the IB program, it shall be him chatting with u all.

While reading over various posts, I found that u all are really working hard to achieve your goals and at the same time helping each other. Keep up the good work and all the best!!

I registered as Crosby... as my son is a great fan of his and ice hockey is his passion. Ok so something about my son—he is a bright student, scored 99 percentile in CCAT in Gr 4 and now is in the process of being considered as gifted. He is currently in Gr 5 and applying for IBMYP for Gr. 6 at WG Davis,Brampton, Canada. He is a fast learner and loves to read. He always scores A’s and A+’s . He is keen to get into IBMYP or some other regional program.

What I need help with is—how should my son prepare for the entrance test. He has to write a written response. I am not sure what level of writing do they expect?? Is there anyone who can help him by giving some advice???

I shall really appreciate any tips and advices. Many Thanks to all who read this post.

Why do you say that? we would love to have new members here no matter if it's a mom or grandpa. So welcome :)

If your son gets straight A's then he doesn't have to worry about it. There are very dull people doing IB here at my school in the final year so MYP won't be a problem. Not sure about the specific exam text that he'll be seeing as it may vary from school to school. Although i just came across this file which your son can go through as a practice text. Make sure he can do well in Math from previous years. I think it's mainly these two or three subjects where your son will be tested on.

Best of luck!

Hey there!

I completely agree with shad0owboss, no need to feel sorry because you're a mother!

As shad0owboss already stated, your son shouldn't have anything to worry about. I didn't attend MYP myself, but I did a search on google and I found this page which might be helpful. There is one English entrance test and one maths entrance test for MYP1 on that page.

Good luck!

Ha, we didn't even have an entrance exam; you got to choose if you wanted to do IB (or I guess the prerequisite of honors were recommended) otherwise, it was up to you. But it's good that your son is doing an entrance exam, lets him know whether he is capable of what IB asks; and looking at his grades and marks, piece of cake. If it comes naturally to him, than just tell him to do what he does best. I'm sure he'll be fine. :)