HL Mathematics

fcb1013

I am unsure of which maths course to select for the IBDP (contemplating between SL and HL.

I am currently in the Standard maths course in my final year of the MYP. Yet, I am finding the maths taught in this course very straightforward and I am expected to achieve a 7.

I am interested in pursuing a career in a science-related field, so I guess HL maths is fairly necessary. To take into consideration - my other confirmed HL course is Physics HL and the third could be English or Art HL. I know that both these courses are already fairly demanding, I am willing to change my third HL depending on the maths course I end up choosing.

So essentially, I would like to know, for a good maths student, how hard is HL? And would it be realistic if I aimed for a 7? (how many people get 7s in HL maths? is it comparable in difficulty to HL physics or chem?) I am definitely willing to put in more effort. Any advice will be appreciated.

I am unsure of which maths course to select for the IBDP (contemplating between SL and HL.

I am currently in the Standard maths course in my final year of the MYP. Yet, I am finding the maths taught in this course very straightforward and I am expected to achieve a 7.

I am interested in pursuing a career in a science-related field, so I guess HL maths is fairly necessary. To take into consideration - my other confirmed HL course is Physics HL and the third could be English or Art HL. I know that both these courses are already fairly demanding, I am willing to change my third HL depending on the maths course I end up choosing.

So essentially, I would like to know, for a good maths student, how hard is HL? And would it be realistic if I aimed for a 7? (how many people get 7s in HL maths? is it comparable in difficulty to HL physics or chem?) I am definitely willing to put in more effort. Any advice will be appreciated.

You should realize that IB is no easy task. However if you're taking standard level math and you're getting 7 then you should choose higher math despite the fact that you're aiming for science related field for your career. You would also be able to jump down easily if you find HL math hard within a couple of weeks so i would suggest getting HL math.

How hard it is? well, we have around 60 students doing IB diploma i believe where only 7 students are taking HL math (they were 15 or something and 8 students moved down), 22 taking SL and 30 something taking studies. I'm in SL math and i sometimes feel as if my class is progressing fast enough for me to catch up so i believe HL math is worse. However you should definitely give it a try.

As you've mentioned, a HL in maths is pretty important for a science related field. Maybe it's just me, but you shouldn't really underestimate HL maths. However, a 7 is not unheard of. One of our seniors had a 7 and at least one had a 6 (we have a small group). Besides, unless you're going for a degree with heavy maths, some UK universities only want a 5, although some do want a 6. Also, as shad0wboss mentioned, you can always change to SL maths if you are having difficulties, so why not give it a go?

Edited by -._._.-

Maths HL is by no means impossible, so give it a try - you might find it fun! There's always the option to switch some courses around if you find it impossible.

In terms of getting a 7, our school pretty much only has 3 people doing it each year, so not many 7s come up. But globally, there are quite a significant proportion who manage to attain 7s, so it is definitely possible.

And, although I am somewhat biased, Maths HL was in my opinion always substantially easier than Physics HL or even SL. So really, it depends on your interests and skills. And the amount of time you devote to practising. Always do lots of questions. :)

Maths HL is by no means impossible, so give it a try - you might find it fun! There's always the option to switch some courses around if you find it impossible.

In terms of getting a 7, our school pretty much only has 3 people doing it each year, so not many 7s come up. But globally, there are quite a significant proportion who manage to attain 7s, so it is definitely possible.

And, although I am somewhat biased, Maths HL was in my opinion always substantially easier than Physics HL or even SL. So really, it depends on your interests and skills. And the amount of time you devote to practising. Always do lots of questions. :)

Thank you all for your replies.

In our school, I would say in past years, around 75% of students go into Standard, 10% in Studies, and 15% in Higher. I will definitely give it a shot and hopefully I'll do well. Like I've said before, it is something I do enjoy and I would be willing to work for it. I've pointed out that I'm 'expected' to get a 7 because it's rather earlier on in the term and we've barely had our assessments.

Will I be able to move down say, halfway through the year or after my first year? And is there a huge gulf between SL and HL or is it just more extensive material like in Physics?

Thank you all for your replies.

In our school, I would say in past years, around 75% of students go into Standard, 10% in Studies, and 15% in Higher. I will definitely give it a shot and hopefully I'll do well. Like I've said before, it is something I do enjoy and I would be willing to work for it. I've pointed out that I'm 'expected' to get a 7 because it's rather earlier on in the term and we've barely had our assessments.

Will I be able to move down say, halfway through the year or after my first year? And is there a huge gulf between SL and HL or is it just more extensive material like in Physics?

Obviously, it depends on the school, but we had people switch down to SL after a whole year (though check with the appropriate people, because it may be different). Switching down is no big deal, even if they've done different topics SL is a breeze compared to HL.

SL and HL is a very large gap. Not only is there more content, but the standard of the questions is deeper - it's not just applying mathematical processes, it's knowing which ones to use one. SL questions are far easier than HL, even if it's the same content and theory being assessed - it's presented in a more challenging problem. So no, it's quite different to physics, it's not just additional content.

And also, as a side note, physics and maths HL aren't necessarily complementary. Although you have to be decent with maths for physics, nothing beyond the scope of standard (or even studies) maths is really necessary. Likewise, although you look at things like kinematics and optimisation in calculus in Maths HL, it is never, never applied in physics. However, maths/physics HL is a good choice for science beyond school. So, if you want to keep Physics HL but aren't sure about Maths HL, that is also totally possible.