Economics Commentary: Word Count and Plagiarism? Respond ASAP!

Hey guys.

I recently had a REALLY intense week with assignments and culminatings and test after test. I'm sure you've all had similar experiences. All I have left now are exams but I'm having trouble being able to concentrate because of something...

You see, I recently submitted my second economics commentary. At the time -since I was in such a difficult situation, and because I was having trouble reducing my word count- I just stopped at 758 words. 8 words over the word count. I just reasoned that they wouldn't be able to to tell 8 words since it is submitted in hard copy, unless they counted every single word and just handed it in.

One of friends was telling me after school today that apparently when the markers mark the papers, they scan the commentary to check for the word count and then also check for plagiarism by doing this.

I feel like this is sort of ridiculous, I mean 8 words over the word count isn't that much, but still!!! Do they actually go that far to count the words?!

Also, a lot of my commentary has explanations copied almost word for word right out of our IB textbook. Not only definitions, but also explanations for graphs!

Even more concerning, there was a commentary I used to look of as a guide which a grade 12 IB had given to me to look at. Looking back, my commentary has a very similar structure to his, and there are even a few lines which are worded exactly the same way!!

I'm really freaking out right now and I really need someone to tell me!!! Do they actually take the time to scan every commentary to check for word count and plagiarism? Why would they do that, when they could just use turnitin.com or something?!

For the word count: they won't read beyond it so those 8 words are basically cut out of your commentary.

Yes, copying from the IB books you have is plagiarism unless you cite them in a footnote. Using the same structure should not be a problem. If some of the wordings and explanations are the same you should re-write yours so they differ to avoid plagiarism. However, in Economics the case can also be that the concepts that you are defining or discussing cannot be explained in very many different ways or wordings and thus it might not be counted as plagiarism.

They do use something like turnitin.com but I am unsure what kind of service they are using. Who knows? Become a examiner and you'll know.

• 3 weeks later...

For the word count: they won't read beyond it so those 8 words are basically cut out of your commentary.

Yes, copying from the IB books you have is plagiarism unless you cite them in a footnote. Using the same structure should not be a problem. If some of the wordings and explanations are the same you should re-write yours so they differ to avoid plagiarism. However, in Economics the case can also be that the concepts that you are defining or discussing cannot be explained in very many different ways or wordings and thus it might not be counted as plagiarism.

They do use something like turnitin.com but I am unsure what kind of service they are using. Who knows? Become a examiner and you'll know.

Even i have a software where the whole thing can be scanned into a word document and it can simply tell you how many words the thing contains. Don't take a risk and try to cut out those 8 words. Be fair or else you might just end up losing marks. People often use too many words defining, check your definitions for that

Edited by shad0wboss