Surprising conditional offers

TykeDragon

So I got my second university reply yesterday, the first being a typical southampton law offer of 36 with 18 at HL, but my offer from Reading wasn't quite what I expected. It says on the website they ask for 37 points, and I applied above that, and got back an offer for 35 points! Not complaining, but I've been trying to analyse their thinking, and at the moment am inclined to think that they would like me to choose them as my insurance as opposed to all the 36 point choices I have and so made a lower offer to tempt me. I was wondering if it was common for universities to make a surprising or odd move with the offers.

Another example would be my friend who shot for Cambridge engineering, applied with 42 points (it is generally expected he'll get 777 in HL maths, DT, physics and 776 or 766 in SL Geography, English and Japanese respectively. He's anticipated 100% in his physics extended essay so should get 3 core if that holds true.) He got 13 A* GCSEs which may have influenced their decision, plus he says his interview was weak - and he struggles in those situations because he has a stutter, which may have made them choose to push him academically. Basically, despite his applying with 42 and I'm fairly sure they only ask 40-42, they've made him an offer for 43, or 39 if he gets 777 at HL.

Anyone else experience replies like this?

I've heard from family, friends, and family friends about situations and offers that sound very much like this, although not specifically in the IB. Two friends of mine, both with great academic standing, have gotten minor scholarship offers alongside a lower academic offer from one university the considered as a safety. This perhaps was because of their huge involvement in extracurriculars, and their strong interviews and essays - the university feel that they could offer much to the school and if not accepted elsewhere would be great at their campus.

Another one of my friends is in the same boat academically - he's an extremely strong student but with weak ECs and weak communication skills. His offer at an Ivy League school required him to push himself in all areas, show evidence of his growth, as well as raise his subject marks in English 8% or so and his academic average about 2%.

Never heard of this. When I applied for Columbia, my predicted grades hadn't even come out yet. They still accepted me (I wanted to show off my 43), with the condition that I "continue my high level of academic rigor and extracurricular activities".

Still, you gotta aim high and really polish yourself so universities see your true value.

Good luck in your exam, Komrade.

I think it's more easier to see this with UK universities, since the focus is less on ECs (unless related to your degree) and they ask specific, conditional requirements for each student in that department. I think this 'favouritism' has happened before, and definitely doesn't only apply to IB; there is a rumour at my school (which means the accuracy of the details is debatable) that a former student had applied for a course that normally required A*AA, but they brought down the requirements to ABB or something like that. She didn't fulfil requirements, but they liked her enough to let her go.

Here's a definite offer that surprised me: I know someone who applied for law at Edinburgh, and they asked for 34 with 555. Another friend got that same requirement for economics/a variation of economics.

When I applied to Warwick in 2010, they typically ask for 38 points. I was made an offer of 36 points with a 6 in HL English and 5 in SL Maths. It was very surprising. So I made them my insurance choice. Then when results came out and I made the requirements of my firm choice, the representative for Warwick in India actually called me up and asked me why I didn't choose them and why was LSE better.

Thanks macro :) and that's very interesting Arrowhead, and lucky you! Warwick are my top choice and I'm waiting with bated breath for my reply from them! What did you apply with? Although I'm also aware of the IGCSE and ECs you applied with, which probably also made an impact. Odd asking after SL maths though.

Just got my conditional offer for law at Exeter, 36 points, that's my third offer now, just waiting on York and Warwick now :D

• Like 1

Yeah especially as I see you applied with more than what they asked for! Also maybe odd that they didn't seem to care about the predicted 7 at HL history, considering you applied for that, and to just instead ask for 555. So another example of a randomly low offer... perhaps consequent of your preicted 7 in history impressing them into wanting you in so giving you an 'easier' offer.

Yeah especially as I see you applied with more than what they asked for! Also maybe odd that they didn't seem to care about the predicted 7 at HL history, considering you applied for that, and to just instead ask for 555. So another example of a randomly low offer... perhaps consequent of your preicted 7 in history impressing them into wanting you in so giving you an 'easier' offer.

I was pretty surprised. I put it down to not being a popular subject (the Arabic anyway), but I thought my 4 in French would have scared them off.