Paying for College

Miccol

Hello all,

Just sort of scamming around at different universities and the same question keeps popping up into my head.... How on earth do international students pay for the costs? Looking at colleges like Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, Warwick, St. Andrews., all of them are around 40k a year in Dollars... So how can I pay for that? It says loans and stuff are from the government if your from the EU but for international students you have to pay upfront?? Someone please tell me I am an idiot and that there is a way...

So how do you suggest a middle class American to go to college in the UK...?

Be brilliant enough to qualify for a coveted international student scholarship, get a loan, work and save up money. If none of these are viable options, give up and stay in America (which has some pretty good universities itself).

In Norway, we have a special loan and scholarship system for students, which allows us to get loans a lot cheaper than normal. When you pass the exams and all that, some of the loan is converted into scholarships. It makes it endurable to study abroad, at least.

Well, first of all, why were you thinking UK? There are great universities in Canada and the US. If you're set on going in the UK and your parents can't help with your costs, your best options would probably be to either get a part time job to help pay the costs and a student loan to cover the rest or working hard in high school and getting a full or partial scholarship,

If you're set on going in the UK and your parents can't help with your costs, your best options would probably be to either get a part time job to help pay the costs and a student loan to cover the rest or working hard in high school and getting a full or partial scholarship,

First of all, getting any scholarsihp in the UK is super duper hard. And thre's no possible way to pay your way through uni with a part-time job, you'll never earn enough.

I can pitch in that I know for a fact that LSE is very generous with internal scholarships for domestic and international students based on need. I received one throughout my undergraduate study and I have lots of international students who've received anywhere between £5,000-£10,000/year towards tuition. The only requirement for renewing the scholarship for subsequent years is that you pass with all exams cleared in the previous year.

If you're set on going in the UK and your parents can't help with your costs, your best options would probably be to either get a part time job to help pay the costs and a student loan to cover the rest or working hard in high school and getting a full or partial scholarship,

First of all, getting any scholarsihp in the UK is super duper hard. And thre's no possible way to pay your way through uni with a part-time job, you'll never earn enough.

I know it's not possible to do that, that's why I said part time job to help pay the costs and a student loan to cover the rest. :P

I wasn't aware of the difficulty of receiving a scholarship over there, though. Here, it's fairly easy to get one assuming you have good grades and are involved in strong extracurricular activities and volunteer service.

Thanks arrowhead that's really reassuring... Would it be safe for me to assume that if I got the grades and they wanted me they would be willing to provide a portion of the financial support?

It varies from university to university. Oxbridge is giving depending on which college you get into. LSE, UCL and Imperial are quite generous but that mostly covers only part of your tuition. At best you can get say £10,000 towards tuition, so you still have to pay a good £4-5k more and then pay for rent and other living expenses in London which is combined another £10-12k/year.

• Like 1