Missed School Deadline for Internal Assessment

Brendan D

I have missed my internal assessment deadline for a type 1 assignment (Lascap) set by the school. I had handed in the assignment a few days later yet they would not give it a grade.

I was wondering if this is officially aloud because the IB deadline is not until much later?

Or am I aloud to request to do the other Type 1 internal assessment (Circles)?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, the school is supposed to give you 10 days to complete each Portfolio task from the day that you received the task. After that it is up to the school whether or not they want to give feedback on Portfolio Tasks that have been submitted too late.

I would suggest that you talk to your teacher, explain the situation and then ask if you could do another Type 1 task (in this case Circles). I handed in my Portfolio Task 1 a week too late with reasons (my computer crashed; lost everything), but it is absolutely up to your individual school whether or not they allow you to do this or not. Yes, you are allowed to request another Type 1 Portfolio Task, it says in the Mathematics SL Guide that you can do any number of Portfolio Tasks and therefore it is legit to ask for another one.

But do remember, make your case strong and argue for why you want to do a new task. Apologise about the task you delivered late and ask for a new chance!

Good luck!

• Like 1

As far as I know, the school is supposed to give you 10 days to complete each Portfolio task from the day that you received the task. After that it is up to the school whether or not they want to give feedback on Portfolio Tasks that have been submitted too late.

I would suggest that you talk to your teacher, explain the situation and then ask if you could do another Type 1 task (in this case Circles). I handed in my Portfolio Task 1 a week too late with reasons (my computer crashed; lost everything), but it is absolutely up to your individual school whether or not they allow you to do this or not. Yes, you are allowed to request another Type 1 Portfolio Task, it says in the Mathematics SL Guide that you can do any number of Portfolio Tasks and therefore it is legit to ask for another one.

But do remember, make your case strong and argue for why you want to do a new task. Apologise about the task you delivered late and ask for a new chance!

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm curious if it is up to the teacher themselves or the headmaster of the school to accept/decline the late assignment?

Edited by BrendanDelfortrie

Seriously? Do you think I am part of your school? I can't have any idea what your school's policy on this is. Please ask the teacher about it. It completely depends on your school how high up the decision have to be. If I was you I would try to avoid to go to the headmaster with this and talk to the teacher in question first (your math teacher).

For my school at least, the teachers are pretty slack (to a certain extent) so they will accept assignments 1-3 days late. However, this does not seem to be the case with your school and teachers so get that figured out. Please go ask your teacher what the policy is and tell them a reason why you are late with the assignment.

Good luck!

You also have to consider that everybody else has stuck by the deadline. Having only X amount of time to solve some potentially difficult and challenging Maths stuff is very stressful - how fair is it for your school to let you have an extra week? In an assignment where time can make a difference, it's relatively reasonable to reject a late submission in order to make it fair on the students who did work really hard. I know when we did ours, people ran out of time and had to hand in incomplete portfolios because they'd not managed to solve it in time.

Good luck trying to get them to let you do a new one.

• Like 1