Naruto as a prescribed work in translation for Language A1?

christran

I was looking through the list of prescribed literature in translation for Language A1. I noticed that one of the stark changes in the list is the inclusion of some graphic novels. It seems like we normally associate graphic novels with juvenile comics, but the selection of graphic novels do seem to be of a lot of literary value. Spiegelman's Maus and Satrapi's Persepolis, both which are works on the list, come to mind as graphic novels that hold a lot of cultural significance and have received a lot of critical acclaim. Interestingly, my state has only two schools that offer the IB Diploma Program, and the other school is teaching Maus as one of its free choices (rather than a translated work).

Anyways, the most notable find (in my opinion) on the list is Naruto. Yes, the manga! I know very little about Naruto other than the few episodes of the anime I've watched. I could have misperceptions about Naruto but it seems oddly peculiar that a children's fantasy manga about teen ninjas could be studied in the same vein as Kafka's The Metamorphosis or Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Obviously, the IBO has reasons for including it but could someone who has read Naruto explain why? I think it's fascinating how the idea of literature has expanded and how the IBO has accepted its modern definition, but it's still really funny to me.

Edited by christran

I also remember that I was surprised when I spotted Naruto on the list. I think the reason why it is there is because it tells a lot about the Japanese society and their historical power hierarchy. A lot could be written on that. Naruto is indeed a fantasy 'children' comic, so the reason for including it in the prescribed list is hard to see. I can honestly see no other reason for it being included other than telling of the reasons I have written over.

However, if one were to read Naruto as one of the prescribed works one would meet a lot of problems. First of all, the manga is divided into chapters which has their own book which would mean that the school would have to buy loads of Naruto-books to read for their students. Secondly, one has to decide what chapter to read and how many one has to read. Meh, for me it seems like it is not very many that choose Naruto to read for the IB. However, the manga by itself is awesome! :D

I know many mangas that could be studies in the literature courses... there is some interesting parts about Naruto, but due to that the writer has to release 1 chapter every week, talking about narrator's choices and such is not gonna be as clear as usual. I guess, you will have to read throughout the whole season one (About 20 books if I remember correctly, was long ago I read it).... First then you are gonna have a good picture about what it is all about....As it is an ongoing manga as well... I don't know how much the students are supposed to read.

• 11 years later...