Is this a good plan?

oonawong238

Even though I'm still pre-IB, I need to make a four-year plan very soon. I would like to be either an anesthesiologist, lawyer, or an author, so I want to know if this plan looks good:

English HL

History of the Americas HL

Biology HL

Math Studies SL

ITGS SL

Japanese SL

My other plan would be:

English HL

Japanese HL

Anatomy and Physiology SL

Math Studies SL

ITGS SL

Please advise!!

Since you have several careers in mind try to keep your options open so that you can explore things you like. However, all of those careers (with the exception of author) require professional school which you go to AFTER you complete your undergraduate degree, so you're thinking way down the line, and most of the courses you take in high school won't do anything to really help you once you're applying to professional school. Just focus on picking courses that you think will be the most beneficial to you.

Your courses seem fine for a future in law or being an author (English and history for writing and analyzing). Although if you are considering anesthesiology I'm wondering why you are not considering taking (at least SL) chemistry? Anesthesiology is a ton of chemistry (you need to know how certain drugs will react in the body under certain conditions in order to not kill the patient).

Anaesthesiologist is more commonly known as an Anaesthetist :P

Being an author you can study whatever you want because it's self-employment (whooo...) and your HLs sound relevant to Law. However to go to Medical school you'll probably be wanting to think about Chemistry and Maths Methods. Especially because in the USA I understand they do an awful lot of basic Chemistry still at University when studying an Undergraduate degree. For Medicine it concerns me that one of your options lacks Biology as this is obviously an intrinsic subject!

Anaesthesia and Law are pretty far apart. It's also very unusual to go into Medicine with a particular specialty in mind at the end!

Being an author you can study whatever you want because it's self-employment (whooo...) and your HLs sound relevant to Law. However to go to Medical school you'll probably be wanting to think about Chemistry and Maths Methods. Especially because in the USA I understand they do an awful lot of basic Chemistry still at University when studying an Undergraduate degree. For Medicine it concerns me that one of your options lacks Biology as this is obviously an intrinsic subject!

At my school, history and English are required as HL subjects, which doesn't leave a lot of options for other HL classes. Chemistry and mathematics are not offered at the higher level, so biology really is my only option for higher level science. I think I'll stick with Biology.... thanks!

At my school, history and English are required as HL subjects, which doesn't leave a lot of options for other HL classes. Chemistry and mathematics are not offered at the higher level, so biology really is my only option for higher level science. I think I'll stick with Biology.... thanks!

It would do you good to do some medical shadowing/ experience/ volunteering if you can to compensate for your lack of chemistry. You could also volunteer at old age homes as well Have you considered doing Chemistry as a self- taught subject? You should speak to your IB coordinator and explain that you are considering a course with high Chemistry content. Some schools offer online self-taught programs so check if your school does that. Or alternatively you could see if the school supplies a tutor or offer to get and independent tutor

Does your school at least have Maths SL? It would make your application look more competitive and make up for the chemistry if you could do SL at least. And with SL you could apply to more international institutions, like ones in Germany for example, if you wanted to. It might open more doors for you and it's a manageable course.

• 2 weeks later...

You should really take Chem at SL atleast or self study the AP Chem course..

For math, I reccomend switching it to SL (or methods as most people call it in the USA)

You'll need to do 2 years of chem, 1-2 years of bio, 1 year of physics and 1-2 terms of math in undergrad if you do premed in the USA, so keep that in mind!!

Biology alone will not really help you. You should definitely look at taking chemistry and biology (since they're in separate groups).

I think that maybe your choices should be:

English HL

Biology HL

Japanese SL

Maths SL

Chemistry SL

It will help you keep your options open for Law and Medical School. I wanted to become a vet but sadly I didn't take Chemistry so I had to rule that out as an option. I regret not taking Chem. Don't regret any choices you make so think hard :)

That's just my opinion anyway. The final decision is up to you :)

Good Luck!