What are my chances for HKU, HKUST, NUS, SMU?

dubyawhy

Hey guys! Can anyone with knowledge of HK and Singapore unis just give me a rough idea on my chances? I appreciate ANY comments or suggestions! Please - these are very competitive courses and I'd like to know where I stand, so even if you only have a rough idea - chip in!

I am a Singaporean-American currently going to an international school in Shanghai. Have lived in the US and Singapore. I'll be applying for:

HKU (BBA Law, Law, IBGM) and HKUST (Global Business)

In Singapore, I'll be applying to:

NUS (Law, BBA, Double Degrees in BBA/Law, Law/MPP, BBA/MPP) and SMU (Double Degrees in Law and Business)

SAT:

2220 740 CR/710 M/770 W

2260 800 CR/710 M/750 W

Superscore: 2280

IGCSE Grades: 8A* 1A

IB Predicted Grades: 44/45 or 41/42 without bonus.

English HL 7

History HL 7

Economics HL 7

Mandarin HL 6

Biology SL 7

Math SL 7

TOK and EE: 3

Extracurriculars:

CEO and Founder of a non-profit Microbank (2 years) - Last year I started a microbank, where we raise funds to give out microcredit loans to those in poverty. Originally intended to serve local farmers in China, we have since expanded to hold assets and capital in over 40 countries. We have two different projects:

1) Developmental Fund - investing in global agriculture and housing throughout Africa, SE Asia, South America

2) Education Fund - providing student loans to youth in developing countries. Our loans, so far, have had a total financial impact of over $1.1 million USD. We have financed the education of teachers, doctors, nurses and engineers.

Head Boy (2 years) - I conduct the job interviews for all incoming members of staff, and personally played a role in the hiring of the current Head of School. I routinely give speeches to the school, and am the head of all student government.

Journalism (2 years) - I am an occasional writer for a large urban newspaper in my city (the Shanghai Daily) that has a daily circulation of over 100,000. I write about charitable work, and also have represented my radio station and school. All works have been published.

Marketing director and founding member for school radio station (1 year)

Model United Nations (2 years) - Was selected as Deputy President of the Economic and Social Council for a large high school conference in Suzhou, China. Have chaired many international conferences.

Debating team (2 years) - Won best speaker awards at numerous debating tournaments

Volunteering (3 years) - I hold free English classes for local Chinese, which leads to official English Proficiency certifications. I also help organize sporting and recreational activities with the mentally and physically disabled every week.

NGO Volunteering (1 year) - I was selected to enter a social entrepreneurship course held by an international NGO, where I designed hats and scarves, marketed them, and delivered proceeds to an impoverished school in Tibet. With the same NGO, I also taught English to impoverished children weekly.

Service Committee (2 years) - I have participated in organising anti-AIDS, anti-Racism, Environmental, etc, campaigns in school and fundraising.

Yearly Service Trip (4 years) - Every year, I spend a week in an impoverished area in rural China, where I teach in underfunded and understaffed schools.

Summer Experiences:

1. Volunteering/Exchange in Cape Town, South Africa - Volunteered in the slums, and in a rehabilitation and homeless shelter. Lectures from many social activists, college professors, speakers on developmental economics, race relations, and post-Apartheid politics. I now serve as an ambassador for the organization that I went with, promoting activism and humanitarianism at my school.

2. Ivy Scholars program at Yale University - I was selected to attend undergraduate and graduate level courses at Yale university in the areas of Political Philosophy, Law and Economics. Have attended courses and lectures from renowned professors in those fields such as Walter Russell Mead, Paul Solman (from CBS), Dean of Yale Law School Robert Post, etc etc

3. Economics summer course at UC Berkeley

Edited by dubyawhy
  • Like 2

They will be amazed by you!! I personally think you got >80% possibility of getting in :D

Your standardized exam scores are perfect, so that's a YES.

HK universities love to see all-rounded student so your ECAs will defnitely help you stand out.

Will you be having interviews for these majors?? :)

Edited by TSAMYIN

If they they don't take you, it's crazy and there is no hope for the rest of us XD. Your grades are excellant and your extracurriculars are out of this world. Literally. You sound like such a good applicant that I almost feel like you post that here just to brag. You have a near perfect score with 4 HL subjects. 44/45. That is really impressive. Combined with extracurriculars that make the rest of us look bad. If they didn't take you, they could only take students with 45 points who cured cancer lol. So basically, students better than you are near impossible to find. Unless there is some huge drawback to you as a student which you haven't revealed, I would say you have a 100% chance at entry. 80% is way too conservative. You are amazing, I bow down to your awesomeness. You probably just wrote that here for an ego boost, but I'm gonna give it to you anyway ;). Be happy because applicants don't come any better.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Haha I really wasn't posting for the ego boost...everyone told me BBA(Law) at HKU is extremely competitive, and nobody can be sure of my chances...so I was legitimately concerned!

I've added information for Singaporean universities too - if anyone knows the admission standards for those unis, please tell :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Well if it's not too late, I'll throw my opinions into the mix.

On the topic of Singapore Universities, I think you'll stand out amongst everyone. We've got loads of 45 pointers out of ACS Independent which really crowds out IB admissions in NUS - I know of somebody who's gotten rejected with a 42. Admission to NUS is only hard because there's only so many people they can admit into each course, and that's why they will be really picky with who they decide to bring in.

I will argue though, that with Singapore, it's mainly a numbers game, so it is in your best interest to get as close to the 45 as possible. There's less emphasis on the other achievements, in reality.

With that said NUS really respects the big names you've been to in your little CV, and they'll definitely appreciate the leadership (not to mention the role in hiring the principal)

Not too sure about SMU though, but if you can get into NUS, you're superman in my eyes when it comes to admissions.

All the best on applying:) You seem to be the only other Singaporean person on this board, so feel free to drop a PM my way if you want to know anything about here really:)

• 3 weeks later...