Books used in Further Mathematics

Gustav Braghe

Here are some of the recommended books that you may be suggested to check out as well.

For calculus: Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin.

For linear algebra as well as sets, relations and groups: Algebra by Serge Lang and Naive Set Theory by Paul Halmos.

For discrete math: Lectures on Number Theory by Dirichlet and Dedekind, Graph Theory by Bondy and Murty.

Edited by aldld
  • Like 1

Since Further maths HL content is roughly Further Maths SL + Linear algebra and more teaching time. And further maths SL is essentially Maths HL + All the options + A further Geometry option.

So theoretically speaking, you'd still get all the information required for Further maths HL, if you got the Maths HL options book + Linear algebra book. Plus this might also benefit you if you are taking Maths HL alongside FM HL.

http://www.ibo.org/r...sityGuide.e.pdf

Edited by ChocolateDrop

• 2 months later...

I have this same problem. I'm sorry I cannot help you, but I'm in the same predicament. There are books for Maths HL and in these, the FM SL curriculum is covered at least with Haese and Harris, but in FM HL there's one section that they took out that was in FM SL and they added linear algebra. So is there any book or collection of books that has the curriculum for the entire FM HL course, and made specifically for IB?

• 3 months later...

Haese and Harris are going to publish a new set of books (a seperate book for every option) sometime later this year. In the meantime, I suggest (having just sat FM SL) using the existing SL book, as the groups and discrete stuff is mostly the same (as with the stats and Euclidean geometry, but less so).

• 2 weeks later...