Stalin: Intentionalist or Functionalist

lucywileman

I know the theory that Hitler was neither internationalist or functionalist but rather was a combination named 'working towards the fuhrer.' Whilst writing an essay I thought to draw a comparison with Stalin and began to think which model he would fit into. I personally think Intentionalist and don't think of him as a weak dictator at all, opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

The functionalist theory emphasizes the revolutionary nature of the Nazi State, its internal political rivalries, and the constant improvisations taken as a result of chaotic decision-making as the driving forces behind the Holocaust. (Functionalism versus intentionalism). Functionalists believe that Hitler was a weak dictator, with minimal involvement in the day-to-day administration of Nazi Germany. This argument can be seen in the following quote by Adolf Hitler, “What would happen to me if I didn't have people around me, men whom I completely trust, to do the work for which I don't have time? Hard men who act as energetically as I would do myself? For me the best man is the man who removes the most from my shoulders, the man who can take 95 percent of the decisions in my place." ...To conclude, in my opinion, Stalin is the functionalist.

Edited by Annddrreww