ESS: What's the key to doing well in the exams?

ibhistoryishard

So I'm taking my final environmental systems and societies exam in about a week and it's the only subject of mine that I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable about. I've been endeavoring to go over my notes to ensure I know the content, but find that when I do past papers, it actually varies quite significantly from straight testing of syllabus details.

I'd really appreciate any advice!

Read the subject guide. It contains a long list over what is expected of you when it comes to knowledge. It also have a list of words that are commonly used in exam questions, and what they actually mean. Although it sounds obvious, I've been told that students often fail to answer the questions correctly because they have misunderstood what they were looking for.

Psychology wasn't something I did but what my friends did was they tried to understand all the case studies that they were given. If you don't understand them, the last resort would be to cram.

And regarding mathematics, you could use question banks to practice questions. These practice questions may turn up in the exams, similar ones but yet, different.

Edited by fяαи

Hey! So, I have my ESS exam on tuesday.

really nervous :S :S :S :/ :/ :/

I haven't really started studying yet though haha. I made two pages of handwritten notes though, if I read that do you think I will be able to get a 7?

Thanks in advance :D

I have finally found some of my Afghan brethren. Shakh lil al mushannah? Lahma jagida! OMG LOL XD XD!!!

I haven't really started studying yet though haha. I made two pages of handwritten notes though, if I read that do you think I will be able to get a 7?

I have finally found some of my Afghan brethren. Shakh lil al mushannah? Lahma jagida! OMG LOL

Wait whaaaat? I'm not an Afghan! Why do you think that hahaha.

Do you do ESS too? If so could you help me out with a question, what's an ecosystem? Like I know it means a computer system but for the eco-vironment but like what is a more precise definition.

Thanks in advance Jayhoonw!

I have finally found some of my Afghan brethren. Shakh lil al mushannah? Lahma jagida! OMG LOL

Wait whaaaat? I'm not an Afghan! Why do you think that hahaha.

Do you do ESS too? If so could you help me out with a question, what's an ecosystem? Like I know it means a computer system but for the eco-vironment but like what is a more precise definition.

Thanks in advance Jayhoonw!

An ecosystem is the systems of the environment. This includes both biotic and abiotic processes. Biotic processes refer to the living components within the ecosystem, while abiotic refers to the non-living factors of the ecosystem.

Oh ok thanks man!

I really am so bad at ESS! I do HL maths, Physics and Chem, SL WL, French and ESS. My predicted grade was 41 (7 in everything except a 6 in WL and 3 in ESS). That's why my name is IBKing779, 41 was highest predicted grade (IBKing) and 779 is my grade times my favourite number (41x19).

I know it's meant to be an easy subject I'm just really bad at ESS!!

I mean seriously wtf is the difference between a terrestrial and a marine ecosystem?! Terrestrial means on earth (that's why aliens are extra-terrestrials), but fish live on Earth aswell so wtf is the difference?!

Oh ok thanks man!

I really am so bad at ESS! I do HL maths, Physics and Chem, SL WL, French and ESS. My predicted grade was 41 (7 in everything except a 6 in WL and 3 in ESS). That's why my name is IBKing779, 41 was highest predicted grade (IBKing) and 779 is my grade times my favourite number (41x19).

I know it's meant to be an easy subject I'm just really bad at ESS!!

I mean seriously wtf is the difference between a terrestrial and a marine ecosystem?! Terrestrial means on earth (that's why aliens are extra-terrestrials), but fish live on Earth aswell so wtf is the difference?!

The difference is whether the ecosystem is on land or in sea. Terrestrial means, as you correctly point out, 'earth,' though in this case it does not refer to the planet. Rather, it refers to the land, as earth is, per definition, also soil and land. Marine is defined as 'relating to or found in the sea,' a clear contrast to terrestrial. Therefore, terrestrial ecosystems are ecosystems on land (above water), whilst marine ecosystems are in the sea.

And, by the way, I believe jayhoonw thought you were Afghan as you have chosen Afghanistan as your country in the profile settings (and, as a result, the Afghan flag is displayed).