Which is more difficult - Studies Paper 1 or Paper 2?

TykeDragon

Just wondering - how different are paper 1 and 2? (Besides the obvious '1 is 15 short questions and 2 is 5 long questions)

Hopefully Paper 2 isn't too much more difficult than Paper 1. I'm one point short of my best university requirement and I hoped to pick that up in maths studies (6 to 7) as my uni offer has no chance of making it part of my conditional if I slip up (studies for law? lol) whereas on top of this, my highers are all subjective (therefore reluctant to predict up despite a 7 in my mock) and/or unlikely to improve anyway (a 7 in english seems entirely unlikely for me)

My maths teacher told me that if I got a 7 in this mock I would be predicted up, but we got a horrible studies paper 1 today. At the end of the exam I counted up everything I did (Everything I did, I know is right, and yes I was pessimistic and still removed a couple that may be iffy) and I'm about 70-71% in paper 1, but this means that in order to average out a 7 I need 90% in Paper 2 in a couple days - can only drop 9-10 marks... :S

Any clues?

Hey!

The obvious differences are really it, if you ask me. P2 requires you to actually consider what they're asking for (for instance, do they want you just to 'write down' the answer, or 'find' it?), but it isn't necessarily any harder. It all depends on which topics that are on the test, and which you are weaker/stronger in. At my school, people do better at P2 than at P1 for some reason, but I can't say if this is an universal trend or not.

P2 examines a few topics more thoroughly, whilst P1 examines more topics in a more superficial way.

If you have time, do past paper twos (a mark scheme for the exam paper is also very useful). It is tedious, and takes quite some time, but you'll be much more prepared for your mock, and you'll be completely familiarised with the style and form of the P2. If you have a mark scheme, you'll also learn what the examiners (and your teacher) would look for.

Good luck with your mocks, eh!

Hahaha thanks, and yep I have some practices :)

I guess the only danger with P2 is that if you don't know a topic at all you'll lose ~18 marks as opposed to the ~6 you'd lose in P1! But hopefully all will be well.

Cheers! :)

Edit: Just checked my bank of past papers. Any questions taken from Studies Paper 2 in Novembers 2005 through to 2011 will have been previously seen by me! haha :P

Edited by TykeDragon