Bunraku: Theatre Research Investigation

Swamibaps

I am working on my theatre research investigation.

The question is: How would the director utilize the puppeteer, the shamisen, and the chanter to execute a traditional Bunraku performance for the characters Oboshi Yuranosuke,and Ko No Morono in Kanadehon Chushingura (The Treasury of the Loyal Retainers) by Namiki Sôsuke?

I was wondering is it ok for me to include history as to what the role of each element is then tie that into the actual performance on stage...can I mention blocking because that is also an important part of the stage setup for Bunraku.

What would be the best format for my essay in writing this....what should i say first, second etc.

any advice....please

Thanks In Advance

• 2 weeks later...

Well Rani, your question still sounds too broad. If you want to talk about blocking, then choose blocking because you need an aspect of the performance. Right now your aspect is generally "performing."

Like I said in class, if it ties into answering your research question, then talk about the history and tie it into the point you make. Take the history and apply that knowledge to your choices on stage. What I was trying to say is that one should not simply talk about history for the sake of talking about the history of the practice, the examiners will already know that.

It should be structured like a formal essay, in the register of a formal essay, spoken in the third person. Your material and images should be carefully selected and presented. So that being said, it should have an intro, your main points, and the conclusion. The way/order you present things is entirely up to you.

• Like 1