Workload of Bio + Chem HL?

Hey, guys. I'm taking math, biology and chemistry HL right now. I hesitated a lot these days about whether I should drop biology HL. I realized that there are tons of stuff to remember in bio and chem HL. I am not going to an 8-year medical school and be a doctor afterwards. I will major in engineering, probably chemistry, biochemistry or computer engineering.

what's your opinion about this? Should I take biology HL only because I like it and I want to be challenged? (I will not drop math or chemistry to SL for sure.)

Thank you.

• Like 1

Wow, I find biology boring (which is why I don't do it, I guess) but if you find it interesting you should do HL. SL is a lot easier, so it's almost a joke. If you wanted to, which other subject what you put at HL with Chemistry and Mathematics HL? If you're thinking of engineering, maybe physics is a good idea, but if it's biochemical or computer it probably doesn't help at all.

Maths, Biology and Chemistry HL is quite an intense workload, but there is a sizeable amount of people doing this combination (usually for medicine, but whatever) and it is possible. They complement each other every well, so that's good.

Biology HL isn't really that hard if you find it interesting. It's a big workload come exam time because Biology has a hell of a lot of stuff you need to memorise, but throughout the year, I didn't find Biology required much work. I did HL Biology and Chemistry (and English Literature) and didn't find it was a problem. Although to be fair English Lit = much much easier than Maths! Then again as an aspiring engineer you're hopefully good at Maths.

Chemistry and Maths are certainly much harder than HL Biology. And HL Physics is also harder than HL Biology so I'd stick with Biology to be honest :)

I think if you like Biology then you should keep it. Many of my friends who have done biology HL have said that it isn't hard, however it's only going to be difficult when you study for your exams, but if you study systematically it shouldn't be. I do not advice you to take Physics HL. Math and Chemistry as HL are challenging enough, especially math, let alone you adding physics to that. I am personally doing English (Language and Literature), Chemistry and Biology as HL, and Math, Physics, and another language as SL. I would've taken math as HL, but my school does not offer the math HL course.

our teacher just said you have a lot of work if you take two HL sciences with a math HL. ppl who take ib science HL in the world only get about a 4 i guess? i think it might be better if you change bio to SL since there are too much works, lab reports and stuff for you to write.

i'm going to medical school so i chose chem HL and bio SL since chem is more of a wide range...

hope it helps~

our teacher just said you have a lot of work if you take two HL sciences with a math HL. ppl who take ib science HL in the world only get about a 4 i guess? i think it might be better if you change bio to SL since there are too much works, lab reports and stuff for you to write.

i'm going to medical school so i chose chem HL and bio SL since chem is more of a wide range...

hope it helps~

It is not difficult. A senior in my school, is doing Math HL, Chemistry HL, and Physics HL. Her predicted grade is 7 in math and physics and a 6 in chemistry. So it is doable. That's what I think. If you don't procrastinate you'll manage the IAs, lab reports, and all the rest :)

Edited by r.h.a

• 7 months later...

I'm taking the exact same HLs as you. Personally I find Bio interesting but annoying since I'm really bad at memorizing. Every class we are bombarded with notes and have to memorize all of them after I get home. Chemistry is fine. chem is more about understanding the patterns and reasons behind the patterns. I have no other HL options, thats why I decided to stick to Bio HL

Check the university requirements first. If the uni and the course you want require HL math, chem and bio, you have no choice I guess. Or you could look for another uni or another course,

If the course or uni doesn't specify, go with the subjects you are 1st: absolutely fantastic at, 2nd: you are extremely passionate about.