Perfect Subject Combination

yomanyomo

Just wondering, what do you guys think is the perfect combination to take...

The combination that universities would go "oh wow this person is impressive"

I would go with the one that shows you're well-rounded.

I'd say:

English HL

History HL

Maths HL

Physics SL

Economics

*Second Language, or another language A* SL

I think History is an impressive subject since I believe that it is the hardest group 3.

And I think that economics is useful. I mean obviously the reason why I didn't pick these subjects myself is because I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

uhm you don't quite get it. Im not talking about what is the perfect subject according to what you want to study at uni.

I'm talking about what is the most *impressive* subject combination.

Ok well let me rephrase it, the perfect combination if you don't know what you're going to do in uni.

Edited by yomanyomo

Just wondering, what do you guys think is the perfect combination to take...

The combination that universities would go "oh wow this person is impressive"

I would go with the one that shows you're well-rounded.

I'd say:

English HL

History HL

Maths HL

Physics SL

Economics

*Second Language, or another language A* SL

I think History is an impressive subject since I believe that it is the hardest group 3.

And I think that economics is useful. I mean obviously the reason why I didn't pick these subjects myself is because I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Mine's pretty similar. I would say:

History HL

Maths HL

Physics HL

English HL

Chemistry SL

'Some cool language' (in the eye of the beholder, I suppose) SL

I think that Maths HL and History HL are two seriously impressive but very different subjects. I would be inclined to say Physics is more impressive than English HL, so if I'm not allowed to cheat by having four HLs (but I suppose many 'impressive students' have four HLs) then English would go to standard.

Those subjects are what I find 'impressive' anyhow. They are probably the hardest and most rigorous (in my opinion). Ha, looking back on that list I realise that I pretty much started IB with that combination - I had the same HLs, but I had Geography and Latin as my SLs (Geography ruins that impressiveness I suppose). That's probably why I find that combination so impressive. I know that there are actually quite a lot of people (at least who I know) who have that subject combination or something similar, so it's definitely not impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

Good quality universities want students who will be able to handle their intense workloads, so they primarily look for students to have had an incredibly large amount of work in HS, or a rigorous curriculum, this is true for many "top" US universities.

If you're solely looking for what'd look most impressive on your application, HL Math and HL Physics are definitely in that combo, as they're usually labeled as the IB's most rigorous courses, the third, I guess - whatever you enjoy doing. That said, this should also be relatively rigorous. SL subjects don't necessarily matter as much, just pick what you want to pick, whilst adhering to university recommendations / requirements, of course.

Like others have said earlier, be very cautious when picking subjects, if you hate math or physics, don't take them at HL. If they're 'just bearable', don't take them at HL. If you genuinely love them, have fun with them, or have a university requirement for them, that's the only time you should take these subjects at HL.

If you take a look at my sig, that's the strategy I've taken. I love math, I find physics incredibly interesting, and I'm a codermonkeygeek, which is why I chose the HLs that I did.

Good Luck!

*Edit: Oh wait, upon reading your sig, I realized you're already in the IB - sorry :P

Edited by unicornication