Engineering in Canada

Beni

I'm pretty set on doing mechanical engineering at uni but the question that's been plaguing me is where?

Initially, I wanted to go to a German one which teaches in English (Carl Benz or RWTH Aachen). The problem I have with these is that the former one is quite small and not so well known around the world and the second one has its bachelor in two languages and transitions towards German over time. That somewhat put me off (even though I'm German..) as well as the fact that I'm "bored" of Europe. It's difficult to explain..

I really want to study in North America and since the US is overpriced for me I thought maybe Canada could offer some good programs.

My number 1 choice would be McGill, followed by either UBC or UoT. What I don't know, however, is how well recognized their Mec.Eng. programs are and I hoped that someone here knows more. I did a lot of research online (e.g. rankings, some student forums..) but that didn't help much and each city is very biased towards their own uni.

Maybe someone is/was a student in Canada and knows how each uni is seen generally (engineering in particular). Or does anyone else know how they would fare against and equivalent British uni? (Manchester, Bristol,..)

I want to be absolutely sure moving so far away is the right choice.

(oh, McGill will be cheaper for me since I'm from a country "francophone", thus getting a subsidy and I also speak French so money and the language shouldn't be a problem in Montreal)

Wow, you must be trilingual or something :D I wished I was as linguistically accomplished as you.

I don't think you could go wrong by studying engineering at McGill. It is almost unanimous that U of T is the top engineering school in Canada, but not very far behind is UBC, McGill, Ottawa and some debate with Waterloo, which can hold its own. Reputation shouldn't be that important to you; at the end of the day, although your fancier institution might score you more points on the exterior, you are the maker of your own success. McGill might be your best bet, it is a very good school already-and you are right, it offers friendlier tuition costs. I go to U of T, and I know for international students, the annual tuition is around 31k.

Thanks for your answer!

I'll apply to McGill and U of T but also some in Europe, just in case. My only problem with Canada is obviously the price :P, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Oh, just after reading your comment I found this video starting to get a lot of views. U of T has a sense of humour :).

I can't give you much input if it was worth it :P but yeah I know for sure that U of T has a lot of pride and spirit. I was actually in the same building getting a similar reception when that video was being filmed! That was a first year orientation week joke.

Good luck with your decision. :)