What to focus on in German B HL?

mrcrazyog

Hey there,

I've just started with IB and since we're quite a small school, it seems like I'm the only one to take German B HL. Therefore, the two extra HL classes will be one-to-one and as such can be individually adjusted (bearing the syllabus in mind, of course). So I just wanted to ask those of you who have more experience with B languages, preferably German, what to focus on during the two years so that the exam is a piece of cake in the end. I just don't want to miss anything that might be important... :)

Thanks

Edited by mrcrazyog

Hey there,

I've just started with IB and since we're quite a small school, it seems like I'm the only one to take German B HL. Therefore, the two extra HL classes will be one-to-one and as such can be individually adjusted (bearing the syllabus in mind, of course). So I just wanted to ask those of you who have more experience with B languages, preferably German, what to focus on during the two years so that the exam is a piece of cake in the end. I just don't want to miss anything that might be important... :)

Thanks

I didn't take HL German B, but I did HL Spanish B, and the syllabus for the HL B subjects is basically the same regardless of language. I know the format changed for the HL B languages for 2013 onwards, but what's still important is to make sure you learn the language and learn it well. You aren't expected to be completely fluent in the language, but I believe with the HL language B's they are expecting a bit more proficiency in the language now than the previous syllabus did.

Learn vocabulary! I cannot stress that enough. They can present texts about anything. And they do. Sometimes the texts are so random (the May 2012 HL Spanish B exam had an excerpt from a story about a woman who had this like mute or deaf or newly-immigrated, i don't really remember, carry her groceries up a flight of stairs for her LOL). You should have a pretty good vocabulary base for HL B anyways, but focus on learning a broad range of vocabulary in the next two years. Also learn "HL vocabulary," as my teacher put it. For example, in Spanish if you wanted to say "good" you could just say "bueno," which is a very basic word you learn in the first week of classes, or you could say "maravilloso" which sounds much more impressive. I'm sure there are plenty of words like that for German, so learn them. Learn idioms and colloquial phrases that don't really translate out of German word-for-word to add to your speaking and your writing to sound better (plus the examiners like seeing these ;) ). It makes your writing more sophisticated and will boost your score IF YOU USE IT CORRECTLY. Like don't add an idiom just to say one and sound awkward. That's bad.

Learn how to write well. You will prepare for a variety of different writing tasks, so learn how to do all of them. Learn how to write formally and informally, how to write articles, how to write e-mails, how to write brochures, etc. Be ready for any writing task they can ask you.

Language Bs aren't too hard if you have an inclination towards languages. Good luck :)

Thanks so much! :) What I think I'll do (since writing is not much of a problem for me in other languages) is to focus on reading and keeping vocabulary lists, so that I can use what I learn in the tasks to come. Spending some extra time going through a piece of literature that is older and therefore likely to take much more than say modern prose/poetry seems reasonable too...

Thanks so much! :) What I think I'll do (since writing is not much of a problem for me in other languages) is to focus on reading and keeping vocabulary lists, so that I can use what I learn in the tasks to come. Spending some extra time going through a piece of literature that is older and therefore likely to take much more than say modern prose/poetry seems reasonable too...

Go through both older texts and newer texts :yes:. Just because it's "modern" doesn't mean it won't have any good content. We read both older stories (from the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century) and more modern stuff (within twenty years or so). Also read from a variety of different places to pick up on some new words, etc. We would read stories from Mexico, stories from South America like Argentina and Chile, and different regions of Spain like Galicia and the Madrid area. So read stories from Austria, stories from northern Germany, southern Germany, Switzerland, etc. because you'll learn new ways to use vocabulary based on regional differences ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I did German B HL and scored 7 ;) but I know that syllabus changed and I'm not really familiar with the changes. What I can tell you from my experience is that you must do a lot on your own to prepare, learning only at school won't get you a good mark. I agree with Emy, learn vocabulary, because sometimes it's the key to answer the questions correctly!

Also get familiar with the formula of the exam and you will quickly notice that some exercises have the same pattern. Practice makes perfect ;)

If you have more questions, PM me :)

Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Hey there,

Thanks

I didn't take HL German B, but I did HL Spanish B, and the syllabus for the HL B subjects is basically the same regardless of language. I know the format changed for the HL B languages for 2013 onwards, but what's still important is to make sure you learn the language and learn it well. You aren't expected to be completely fluent in the language, but I believe with the HL language B's they are expecting a bit more proficiency in the language now than the previous syllabus did.

Learn vocabulary! I cannot stress that enough. They can present texts about anything. And they do. Sometimes the texts are so random (the May 2012 HL Spanish B exam had an excerpt from a story about a woman who had this like mute or deaf or newly-immigrated, i don't really remember, carry her groceries up a flight of stairs for her LOL). You should have a pretty good vocabulary base for HL B anyways, but focus on learning a broad range of vocabulary in the next two years. Also learn "HL vocabulary," as my teacher put it. For example, in Spanish if you wanted to say "good" you could just say "bueno," which is a very basic word you learn in the first week of classes, or you could say "maravilloso" which sounds much more impressive. I'm sure there are plenty of words like that for German, so learn them. Learn idioms and colloquial phrases that don't really translate out of German word-for-word to add to your speaking and your writing to sound better (plus the examiners like seeing these ;) ). It makes your writing more sophisticated and will boost your score IF YOU USE IT CORRECTLY. Like don't add an idiom just to say one and sound awkward. That's bad.

Learn how to write well. You will prepare for a variety of different writing tasks, so learn how to do all of them. Learn how to write formally and informally, how to write articles, how to write e-mails, how to write brochures, etc. Be ready for any writing task they can ask you.

Language Bs aren't too hard if you have an inclination towards languages. Good luck :)

Well said!

Let me just add one more important thing.

Watch/listen to as much German TV/radio as possible, and pay attention to the sound of the language. It'll really help your speaking skills, I promise!