Is taking all IB SL courses smart for Univeristy?

BlazedYouUp420

Hey fellow ib students, im new to this forum. I need help with selecting courses. I am about to start the IB year 1 program (meaning im in grade 11) next week and I'm still unsure of what to take for my courses. My goal that I am trying to acheive is to become a doctor.

The courses that I've choosen for IB:

IB English/Literature (SL)

IB Spanish AB (SL)

IB Business & Management (SL)

IB Biology (SL)

IB Chemistry (SL)

IB Math (SL)

IB Theory of Knowledge

Would this be enough to get in a Canadian University (since im from canada) for medicine? Any suggestions would be helpful. Would you guys suggest me to do an HL course.

Also, I'm pretty lazy of a guy, that's why I choose SL courses so I won't stress the next 2 years. Thank you!

Edited by BlazedYouUp420

there has to be at least 3 HL courses to get the diploma

also TOK is not a subject where you choose HL or SL... just TOK

do HL in what you believe you will do best in and what you enjoy most

good luck

ok so what if im not going for diploma? im just doing certificate because i heard diploma program will be too stressfull. Would I still get into a decent univerisity? And i have about just over a week left to choose

ok so what if im not going for diploma? im just doing certificate because i heard diploma program will be too stressfull. Would I still get into a decent univerisity? And i have about just over a week left to choose

As far as I know (and at my school) certificate courses are required to be taken as HL.

Taking medicine and being a doctor usually requires high academic standards from the university.

I'll take the University of British Columbia as an example (my friend is applying there for medicine). To apply to the Faculty of Medicine there, you would need to take Biology, Chemistry and English at HL. Here's the link for the admission requirements (scroll down to "Claiming AP or IB credits").

I'm taking English A at HL and I enjoy it very much. Oh, and even though the IB Diploma is very stressful, I believe that it is worth taking because taking the Diploma (and doing well) allows you to go into the top universities. However, it is still possible to go into a decent university taking the certificate, but it's difficult to find a university that'll accept you, especially if you're thinking of becoming a doctor.

I hope this helped. :)

Edited by cactus555
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get into A Canadian university. Sometimes the IB at SL is worse than your area's curriculum. Chemistry SL is recommended for IB people who aren't going into science. But even so, institutions such as UToronto will accept SL courses, and I believe most universities in Canada don't mind SL courses. I'd recommend HL science courses too if you don't want to struggle too much in university, but yes, you'd be able to "get in".

The diploma program is not stressful if you know how to manage yourself. So at the end of the day, make a decision that will reflect your best interests, and try to consider a long-term perspective regarding if your choices are realistic to your goals.

• Like 1

Taking medicine and being a doctor usually requires high academic standards from the university.

I'll take the University of British Columbia as an example (my friend is applying there for medicine). To apply to the Faculty of Medicine there, you would need to take Biology, Chemistry and English at HL. Here's the link for the admission requirements (scroll down to "Claiming AP or IB credits").

I'm taking English A at HL and I enjoy it very much. Oh, and even though the IB Diploma is very stressful, I believe that it is worth taking because taking the Diploma (and doing well) allows you to go into the top universities. However, it is still possible to go into a decent university taking the certificate, but it's difficult to find a university that'll accept you, especially if you're thinking of becoming a doctor.

I hope this helped. :)

What do you mean by "decent" university? You mean like "Douglas College" or a decent university like "UBC"? Anyways thanks for the link, I live in British Columbia. So does this mean UBC doesn't accept certificate courses for medical school?

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get into A Canadian university. Sometimes the IB at SL is worse than your area's curriculum. Chemistry SL is recommended for IB people who aren't going into science. But even so, institutions such as UToronto will accept SL courses, and I believe most universities in Canada don't mind SL courses. I'd recommend HL science courses too if you don't want to struggle too much in university, but yes, you'd be able to "get in".

The diploma program is not stressful if you know how to manage yourself. So at the end of the day, make a decision that will reflect your best interests, and try to consider a long-term perspective regarding if your choices are realistic to your goals.

Thanks for the reply! Could you give me an example of a Canadian University that will accept my subjects? It will be much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Question: How do you propose to study (and survive) an intensely academic course like Medicine, if something as mundane as the IB Programme is too stressful for you?

I should add that I don't think doing 6 SL courses is "smart" to get into a decent university, especially for something as competitive as Medicine. Admittedly, I am not familiar with the Canadian system, but surely standards can't be that low? Right?

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1

Also, I'm pretty lazy of a guy, that's why I choose SL courses so I won't stress the next 2 years. Thank you!

OMG, I just laughed so hard.... You say you're lazy yet you want to go into probably the most demanding university course there is.... I'm really impressed with your reasoning, really.

• Like 2