Missed my Maths IA deadline

ChocolateDrop

Hi guys,

Due to various issues, my parents were ready to withdraw me from my current IB school and make me transfer to another school (A level or IB) around the time of the maths IA deadline. They were trying to avoid this but accepted this could be a possibility. I didn't hand in my IA on the deadline day but many people hadn't handed it on the deadline day so the maths dep had extended the deadline. My IA was complete but I didn't hand it in because I didn't want my maths teacher wasting his time marking it for no reason without the knowledge I might not be staying on. I approached my maths teacher and told him I might be transferring schools (because my new school needed a recommendation letter from him... and my English teacher) and asked him what to do regarding the IA. Then my teacher suggested I should contact my potential school and find out if they would find the IA acceptable, so I told my dad who was supposed to contact the school and that was that.

(ps. I had done the same with my english teacher because my potential school needed a recommendation from her as well

and asked her what to do with the IA and she wanted it in. I did as I was told and gave her the IA).

Then a few weeks or a month after this took place I was just chilling in my maths class, doing regular math things and I decided to ask a maths related question to my maths teacher and in response he gets really angry and states I will fail maths because I failed the IA.:o He then says something along the lines of I came to him and said I wasn't doing the IA because I was moving schools. I was shocked because this is not what took place and it's possible I did not communicate the situation well. I was after approached by my IB coordinator who he had told this version of events. Everything was really over complicated and I was confused as what to do next as it all seemed so final. I plucked up th courage to face my maths teacher regarding the IA I handed it in later that week (on his desk) because I was unsure whether it would make a difference anyways as he had already said I had failed. He said the only way he could hand it in is through my IB coordinator and I'd have to tell her what happened. Is there any point though? Are the Maths IA deadlines earlier than the rest? Are they already past?

• Like 1

Wow, huh, that's enough complexity to make anyone confused...

The reason why the deadline comes so quickly is that math IAs have a time limit of... 2 weeks if I remember correctly (?) so once you get the paper with the instructions you need to turn the completed IA in in that time to pass.

Other than that though, I really can't say anything, just contact the coordinator as soon as possible to get this sorted out.

• Like 1

It depends on how your school does its IAs. You should double check if the deadline you missed was an internal one (which I think is probable since I have not even submitted an official Maths IA yet) and explain your situation to your coordinator and/or your maths teacher. If they require you to do so, you may have to do another IA because there is a specific time period in which you must complete the IA.

However, if you haven't made any changes to your IA document since, you could show your teacher that you have done the IA within the time specific time period without having edited it since, and you could possibly still use that IA.

But I think the best thing to do is to talk to your supervisor, before taking any action.

• Like 1