After taking one year of visual arts HL, can i switch to visual arts SL?

kaay

I am a senior IB student, and last year I took the first year of visual arts HL, but this year I do not want to take art because it prevents me from staying in orchestra because of class scheduling. I really want to drop this second year of visual arts, and be considered a visual art SL student without taking the class... Then at the end of year do the showcase and get the grade. I know it sounds silly, but is it possible?! I cannot give up orchestra..

I guess that depends on whether you are taking the full IB diploma, in which case you would have to find another HL if you are taking 3 HLs at the moment and also the willingness of your teachers/ Ib coordinator to let you switch.

I don't take IB art but from what I've read the only real difference is the quantity and depth of work you're expected to produce.

http://ibman2001.tripod.com/id95.html

http://www.haef.gr/gr/pcl/ib/visual_arts.pdf

As a rule of thumb, it's usually easier to switch from HL to SL rather than the other way. Don't give up orchestra.

I am a senior IB student, and last year I took the first year of visual arts HL, but this year I do not want to take art because it prevents me from staying in orchestra because of class scheduling. I really want to drop this second year of visual arts, and be considered a visual art SL student without taking the class... Then at the end of year do the showcase and get the grade. I know it sounds silly, but is it possible?! I cannot give up orchestra..

Exactly what Chocolate Drops said!

I don't see how you can be a Visual art student without taking the class. Depending on your school's regulation to the DP program, perhaps it may be possible that way but in most schools, I do not think it is possible. I say, seek advice from your IB coordinator or fellow teachers.

Think also as to which of these two, do you prioritize most? And which one of these two, Visual arts or Orchestra, are more profitable for you, in the long term?

Depending on your IB coordinator, you may be able to switch it to SL however, keep in mind that it also may not be possible considering your late transfer, getting another HL subject, schedules already made... Don't forget that the amount of work between Visual Arts HL and SL are extremely different, just as any other subject in the IB program.

Hopefully this helps a little for you to make your decision!

Best of Luck <3

It's very possible. You just need to figure out which subject you want to push up to HL to take the place of your Visual Arts.

VIsual Art HL and Visual Art SL are very similar. The only difference is how much work you produce and the depth you go into in your IWB. It would be hard to move from SL to HL because the work load increases tremendously.

Good Luck with your decision!

P.S. (I do recommend you moving to SL because HL Visual Arts is a very time consuming subject and I regret taking it)

• Like 1