The right to define

Ezak

A couple of months ago, we had a meeting in our school regarding a good enviroment and preventing bullying. One thing in the small pamphlet that made me reflect upon the nature of defining was that, as it said in the pamphlete: you are the only one who can say that you have been insulted.

While this may seem good and well that everyone should be able to school without being insulted, it raises much larger questions such that who should be able to define a religion, political party or a doctrine? The members of said institutions, the opposition or maybe just a group of highly educated academics?

What are you talking about?

The statement 'you are the only one who can say you have been insulted' is just to show that you give as much power to words as you want to. For example, if I called you fat, you wouldn't really care. But if your friend called you fat, you'd be a bit more insulted. What the statement is saying is that you don't need to take offence to it because they're just words.

I don't know what your second paragraph has to do with anything. Sorry.

• Like 1