Retaking IB Math HL Yr 1?

DonkeyField

I took IB Math HL Year 1 sophomore year with the plan of taking Year 2 then Further Maths senior year. However i got pretty low grades. aAso we did all the AP Calc material in Year 1 and i took the AP test and did poorly. My guidance counselor says even if I continue with Year 2 this year there is a chance I would have to take HL test after senior year either way. I'm going into the diploma program this (junior) year. I was planning on retaking Year 1 to save all the problems. Is this wise? How bad would it look to universities? (us student)

I think you should retake it. If the universities see that you've done poorly in a class and then see that you've retaken it, it'll show that you're not one to easily give up if you didn't achieve a goal. Go for it! :)

I'm confused though... how does one take Maths HL as a sophomore? In my school they only let you take IB classes once you've entered the actual programme in year 12 and 13. (11th and 12th grade for Americans)

I should specify...I got a B first semester and A- second semester. It's definitely lower than the majority of my grades but I don't know if it is low enough to warrant retaking the class. Also I dont feel comfortable with the content so I don't want to take the IB HL test at the end of junior year if I am allowed and do poorly anyways. Which is completely realistic considering the difficulty of the test..

I'm not sure how it works exactly because as I said I'm going into my junior year so I don't know much about IB yet. But I was 2 (or 3 depending on how your school does it) years ahead in math so I was heading into AP Calculus BC my sophomore year. They ended up combining Calc BC and IB Math Year 1 at our school and the IB math teacher encouraged me to take IB Math HL during sophomore year.He said I could take the Further Maths SL option senior year (I don't know if this is offered at your school?). I was (well would have been) the first to do this at my school so they didn't know much about it either. So I'm not entirely sure if they would have allowed me to take the IB HL test at the end of junior year because as I understand it generally it is for seniors? And if that would have been counted for my IB diploma anyways.

I know there are quite a few people who take further maths sl option around the world so I wasn't sure how exactly it works for them?