How much does Cambridge like further mathematics in applications to computer science?

norsul

Hi guys!

I want to study computer science at Cambridge and I've been looking through the course requirements and they said that further mathematics is considered highly desirable, which means that I qualify for applying but will be at a disadvantage. The reason I didn't take further mathematics is because our school doesn't offer it. So what do you think? Are my chances slim with just HL math? Is there anything I could do to boost my chances with just HL math? I'm doing my EE in math about a subject related to computer science, but I doubt they care much about that.

By the way, does Cambridge care about the 3 extra points from TOK + EE? Because the way I understand it is that they give an offer to you if you have done well in the interview, written a nice personal statement and have a predicted 42 points, but there aren't any predicted TOK or EE grades, so basically I need a predicted 7 in every subject (which isn't that much of a problem for me). But when they give the offer saying that you need to achieve 42 or more points, do they take into account the possible 3 extra points from TOK + EE or do they just ignore it?

Hey,

According to my Cambridge undergrad prospect in the back for highly desirable it says that it means "subject required by most colleges". It also says that Highly desirable is "a level further mathematics and/or a physical science". I do not know what your other IB subjects are but I think that if you do Physcis HL you will be fine. On the computer science page it also says that "applicants for computer science with mathematics may also be asked for STEP Mathematics. I checked in the back and the only college that "may" ask for STEP examinations is Magdalena College. So I think that ss long as you do not apply for Magdalene College you should be fine without having to take the STEP exam.

You could try to do as many of the Math HL options as you can because those are the Further Mathematics course. I think that if you do your EE in Math and on a subject related to computer science they will take that into consideration. And if you make it to the interview you can tell them about your essay there.

The predicted IB grades are always only out of 42, and of what I know Cambridge generally asks for a predicted grade between 38 and 42. Obviously if they give the offer saying you need to achieve more than 42 points, than they must be taking the extra points into consideration.

I would check the specific college, Trinity college for example hints at it to study mathematics http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=86&subid=22 . 'In most years, there are also applicants taking Pre-U examinations in Maths and Further Maths, and the International Baccalaureate with HL Maths and SL Further Maths.' I'm not sure about computer science though http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=86&subid=20 IB requirements are kind of ignored and Trinity college believes taking qualifications broader than A-level (i.e IB) would put you at a disadvantage for subjects particularly like computer science, engineering, natural sciences and mathematics. http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=189

I would suggest checking mathematics requirements (seeing how harsh they are) of different colleges and the overall opinion toward IB before making your choices. Is it possible for you to do an extra A level Further Mathematics exam. The Further Mathematics Support Program (FMSP) is designed to help people in your position who do not have access to further maths facilities, but it is for A level exams. If you do an A-level in further maths this will show your potential and determination and immediately set you apart. http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/

Thanks for the help! But is there any way I can find out how the colleges feel towards IB students? Asking on the forums is a problem because it's likely that people don't know it, because how can they? Every college says that they openly welcome all candidates who meet the requirements, but I'm sure that it isn't the whole truth :D.

Also, I checked the link and it was interesting, but the problem is that it seems like it's only for British students. Is this true?

Cambridge treats IB as equal to A-Levels, we are at no disadvantage. :P And there is no need to do IB Further Maths, that refers only to A-Levels.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. A-level maths is apparently easier and has less contents, but Cambridge counts IB HL math as equivalent to A-level maths. They also count further maths as equivalent to IB further maths, and thus count it as a preferred subject, meaning that it is not required but it is a downside an can be a tiebreaker between two similar applicants.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. A-level maths is apparently easier and has less contents, but Cambridge counts IB HL math as equivalent to A-level maths. They also count further maths as equivalent to IB further maths, and thus count it as a preferred subject, meaning that it is not required but it is a downside an can be a tiebreaker between two similar applicants.

Who told you that?

It says so right here (scroll all the way down to the international baccalaureate section): http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/

Also in here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/compsci/ under entry requirements and then course requirements it says that Hl math/ A-level math required and AS or A-level further maths/IB SL further maths is highly desirable.

I'm serious, IB Maths HL = A-Levels Maths + Further Maths (more or less) and Cambridge is aware of that. I didn't take Further Maths (because as most of the IB schools mine also doesn't offer it) and I got into Cambridge to study Chemical Engineering. After you apply you also have to fill in a special 'questionnaire' called SAQ and in it you get the chance to explain whether you were unable to take certain subjects that you might have wanted to. So don't worry and apply, Further Maths is not an obstacle here. ;)

• Like 1

I'm serious, IB Maths HL = A-Levels Maths + Further Maths (more or less) and Cambridge is aware of that. I didn't take Further Maths (because as most of the IB schools mine also doesn't offer it) and I got into Cambridge to study Chemical Engineering. After you apply you also have to fill in a special 'questionnaire' called SAQ and in it you get the chance to explain whether you were unable to take certain subjects that you might have wanted to. So don't worry and apply, Further Maths is not an obstacle here. ;)

Well, I hope you're right. But thanks for the help anyways :D!

Mathematics and Computer Science are closer related than Chemical engineering and Mathematics. Computer Science has ridiculous amounts of further maths maths moreso than chemical engineering hence more of an emphasis on further maths when studying computer maths.

(See: Cambridge computer science subject requirements table) - http://www.study.cam...ourses/compsci/

I would avoid applying to colleges with Further maths down as ''essential' (like St Catherine's or Trinity) ie they require it I also would try avoid colleges with further maths down as 'desirable' to maximize your chances. Instead I would aim for colleges which don't even have any mention of further maths and at most ones which regard it as 'useful'. This is because they are more likely to not be expecting applicants to have further maths.

As for getting the colleges overall feelings/ opinions towards the IB, I would suggest visiting the colleges specific website and seeing what they say. Hopefully they are as blunt as trinity. I am not saying Cambridge as a whole thinks IB students are at a disadvantage, I'm just quoting what Trinity college itself states on it's website regarding IB http://www.trin.cam.....php?pageid=189. I say use a bit of tactic/ research and hopefully this will boost your chances of getting in. Good luck :)

Mathematics and Computer Science are closer related than Chemical engineering and Mathematics. Computer Science has ridiculous amounts of further maths maths moreso than chemical engineering hence more of an emphasis on further maths when studying computer maths.

Maybe, but my friend applied to study Maths at Cambridge with only Polish-school maths which doesn't involve any of the elements included in Further Maths and got an offer. However, if you apply for CompSci with Maths, which is the most popular option, you will most probably have to take STEP and that's why they don't care that much about the kind of maths you do at school because STEP will sort things out anyway.

Maybe, but my friend applied to study Maths at Cambridge with only Polish-school maths which doesn't involve any of the elements included in Further Maths and got an offer. However, if you apply for CompSci with Maths, which is the most popular option, you will most probably have to take STEP and that's why they don't care that much about the kind of maths you do at school because STEP will sort things out anyway.

That's interesting, although it's also interesting to note that many of the mathematics requirements regarding further maths have it at least AS but they also make an exception if your school doen't offer it. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/maths/

However for computer science it has it down as FM which means up to FM A level standard or equivelent and no mention of exceptions if your school does not offer it.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/compsci/

One could argue that for mathematics the further maths requirements are less leniant than that of computer science. Go figure. My advice is just be careful.