what can I do for extra-curriculars? entering senior year.

Sorry...What?

I've barely done any ECs for the past 3 years. I know it's ridiculous. I don't know what I was thinking but I can't turn back time and I'm trying to fix the mistake I made.

this summer I'm carrying out a "Campaign for a Cleaner Cairo" which is an environmental campaign I founded all by myself. it involves street cleaning and collecting recycling, and raising awareness about the importance of the environment's well-being overall. it's not a complete success because there aren't many willing volunteers.

that's the only important/strong activity that I've done. I'll be a senior in a few weeks. What is something I can do that relates to politics (my intended major) that can help me stand out?

I was thinking of starting an organization involved in helping children in Palestine. I'm actually going to do this. I've been interested in this for a while.

what else can I do? I was hoping to get into George Washington university. but that seems very unlikely now. If anyone could help me that would be great.

I know it's very late. I understand that this could ruin my life. but I'll work as hard as I have to.

Edited by Sorry...What?

• Model United Nations - it shows that you are interested in politics, as well as taken on the challenge of public speaking. It also involves research; whichever country you are, you have to look up the policies and how the current propositions effect your country.
  • School government (instead of MUN, or an internal version of MUN) - you can start a school government to help improve school policies (whether that be for students, teachers or parents) and help run it. This would show a leadership position and initiative.
  • Any leadership role - I think at this point, universities don't expect a whole load of political CCAs (similar to those who want to study psychology), but leadership roles show the school that you can handle pressure and that you have a voice when there is something to say. It doesn't even have to be politics-related; you can carry on with your "Campaign for a Cleaner Cairo" or start something else new.

Now the key here isn't to go overboard. Universities want to see extra curriculars that you have done well in, and not millions of little ones that don't matter. A few ECs which you have spent time on should be fine.

• Like 1

I have just checked the Common App, and in the Writing section under Additional Information you can add more information that you would like universities to know. Here is what they have said:

Please upload a document here if you wish to provide details of circumstances or qualifications not reflected in the application.

If you wanted a subject for your essay that you submit to the Common App, you could do it on this: the fact that you wanted to do MUN last year (shows your passion about politics) but weren't able to (your family circumstances), and your reflections because of this. If you do an essay similar to this, it would be under a "Topic of your choice".

And interning for a senator would be absolutely perfect - you can put any work experience in the activities section, and because you can rate the importance of your activities, you can show that this is very important to you.

I'm afraid I'm not very good at being able to estimate someone's chances, but I think the best advice I can give is to try your best in your SATs/ACTs, essays, ECs and, of course, IB. Still go for George Washington, but also try to think realistically; I'm not saying you can't get in, just that you need safe schools as well.

Edited by carpediem
  • Like 1

Thanks for responding. I have a 4.0 GPA but my SAT/ACT scores aren't that good (2010 / 28) if I increase my scores, do I have a chance? I just have to know: if I'd have done the internship earlier this year, say in September, would I have had a much better chance at George Washington? please respond soon.

Edited by Sorry...What?

I think your GPA is good and your SAT score is good - if I were you, I'd focus on SATs rather than ACT you seem to do better on that testing. Sign up for the testing, and prep for it well! (Sign up soon the next testing date is very soon, or you can do the following testing date and guarantee you have a place. Don't leave it until too late, having November testing for EA/ED can be a pain when they call you up thinking you haven't sent your results when you have.) Even if one aspect isn't especially good, e.g. your extracurriculars, you always have your SAT score and your GPA to fall back upon. But try not to give them a reason to have to revert to a different aspect, you're trying to impress them.

And personally I think it's best that you DO the internship, and not when. Maybe if possible you can impress the senator so much that you can ask for a recommendation and attach that as the extra documentation on the Common App. Just apply and secure an internship; don't worry what you could have done, and just do it now :)

Yes GW would value your environmental campaign. I'm not sure if being a founder of something is common, but it's less common if you stick with your project for a longer period of time. So if you continue with your campaign, that would already be the summer plus the coming months and shows your commitment to the project, and not just something for university (even if it is :P ).