Help with choosing a University

Sarabunny

Hi all,

Currently I am in a state of turmoil because I am having a horrible time deciding where to go to college. I live in Nevada and am deating between UC Davis and Boise State University (for by bachelors). After undergrad I plan on going to Med School. Here's the thing- I know that UC Davis would probably better prepare me for Med School. However, I have lots of family in Boise State and it would take the financial burdon away as well as having the support of family as opposed to living by myself in Davis, CA. My grades etc. are good enough to get me into the Honors College at Boise State but I still think Davis would give me better preperation for the future.

Here's my question- what would you choose? Will family support and reduced financial burdons make up for any potentially missed opportunity to have the highest chances of getting into Med school? And please, if anybody has attended these instititions please let me know your thoughts on the college.

I realize that in the end, the decision is mine, but some input will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Sara

Well, the answer is rather simple, is money a problem? See I'm fortunate enough that money wasn't a huge bother for me when choosing a university in England, so I had a bit of latitude. If money would have been a problem, then I probably would have gone to the university that would be most accessible to me and within my means.

So if money is a problem of utmost concern, go to Boise State, if it isn't, go to UC Davis.

I agree with Arrowhead, pick the best university available (in terms of both chances of getting in and affordability). Your future outweighs temporary family support, particularly considering you'll eventually end up moving away from your family anyways, so gaining independence now is a good idea. Furthermore, if the chance of getting into med school is significantly higher, it makes financial sense, too, as md salaries render undergraduate debt naught more than a minor issue.