Is it true that in your History IA you can't include facts that happened 10 years ago and after?

michh23

My teacher told me that you can't include facts that happened after ten years ago in your history IA, because it is not considered history. Is that true?

For example: My topic is related to the Cuba-U.S relations, and I wanted to include the lift of restructions and easening the embargo that Obama issued in 2009, but it didn't happen before ten years ago, so I can't include it.

I don't know, I have searched online in pages concerning History IA help, and all of them said nothing about this thing she told me.

I feel sorry because I don't trust her, she barely helped us in this, so she gives me the impression she does not know a lot... Plus she quitted, leaving us unprepared.

Please, I require your help. Thank you.

Usually with IB history you cannot include things that happened within ten years or so because they would be classified as "current events" instead of history. I know this applies to things like IA topics and EE questions, but I'm not so sure if it applies to the facts within the topics themselves. I would think it would apply since it applies to the other areas as well. If I were you I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I wouldn't include the 2009 embargo restrictions lift just to be safe, and to look for other things you could add (was there another lift of restrictions or something like that?) that occurred more than 10 years ago.

• Like 1