HL Biology or SL ESS?

Maraschina

I'm currently signed up for

HL English (required)

SL Math

SL Spanish

HL Chemistry

HL Psychology (Only offered in HL at my school)

I need to choose another, and I was thinking of taking HL Biology (SL is not offered at my school), but am afraid that it'd be too difficult combined with my other courses, and was thinking of doing ESS instead, though I'm afraid I'd be bored of the subject. On the other hand, it might be something that I'd be able to learn to love. I'm basically asking if HL Bio, Chem, and Psych on top of CAS, an EE, and my SL's would be too much, and if I should just take Systems, or, if I were to take Biology, how doable that schedule would be. Any advice is helpful!

Biology HL complements Psychology and overlaps with Chemistry a great deal so that combination would be very doable. However it depends on what kind of science person you are really. Do you prefer memorizing/ interpretating data (biology) or are you more of an equations/ solving maths problems practically? (physics) These questions are important when considering a second science alongside Chemistry since it's the link between physics and biology, competence in Chemistry doesn't always mean competence in both, usually it's one or the other.

As for ESS it depends on what you want to study in university (assuming you're aiming to go to university). If you want to do medicine another science is usually compulsary even at SL. ESS does not count as another science. I would suggest to take Biology HL if you aren't sure whether you want to do relatively sciency degree with requirements of 2 sciences. I personally recommend Biology as it would open more doors (not saying ESS closes doors but biology + chemistry HL opens numerous doors and gives you more options).

• Like 1

I agree with Chocolatedrop that Chemistry, Biology and Psychology at HL complements each other.

As for your question, I think you're a bit confused with what the ESS and the other sciences would be like.

I can tell you that Physics, Chemistry and Biology are the traditional sciences (you probably know that) but I think it'd be harder than ESS because ESS is designed for people who want to combine Science and Humanities, so they can take another language or save Art or whatever.

But because it is considered both a group 3 AND group 4 course...it is basically like writing essays about science.

I heard that often in ESS you'll be writing essays about what you learn in the science world and a little bit of chem and bio (and maybe even physics).

But one of the reasons why I think its easier than the traditional sciences is because Bio/Chem/Physics are something you don't always see with your bare eyes, and sometimes it is hard for someone to comprehend the contents (especially in Chem and Phys.)

So imo, if you're good at writing essays, then you should do ESS SL instead of Bio HL. But if you understand Bio just fine, stick with it :) its a great course.

Good luck!

Edited by yomanyomo