G4 PROJECT IDEA(S).

flx

HIE,

We had been given a task for a group four project on water as a mixed group(10 students) from all science subjects. so we were planning to have something which will incoporate aspects from biology, physics and chemistry. we decided to investigate the % of impurities( mainly lead) in the water we drink at school and find out its effect on health.

is this a good topic to do or we must chose something else?

please feel free to add more suggestions.

You have 10 students in your group? Oh my god. In my experience it is not necessary to draw information from three sciences; at my school it was acceptable that you could only do two. But from the looks of it you need as much as possible, since you have such a large group! (mine only had 4 people) I'd say this is a good topic!

I can see clearly the biology and chemistry aspects, as you could investigate the amount of lead that could lead to poisoning and its effects on human health like you said. For chemistry, can you think of a purification, filtration or identification method of determining if there are traces of lead in the water? You could also talk about your experiment and the properties of lead, and what you had to find the impurities. I don't see a very clear physics element, but if you find enough to do (I guess you could set up teams to divide your work into research, experiment, presentation, w.e) it should be fine. You should ask your teacher if doing two subjects (should you decide to do two subjects) is alright first.

Sorry if that wasn't much help :( But good luck on your project!

• Like 1

You could do the % of impurities in school water vs. a river nearby, and look at the wildlife from a biology perspective, and talk about lead poisoning etc. physics by examining the movement of the water, and likelihood of the lead being carried along in the river and deposited and how the lead might enter the school system while the water is traveling to it. I think Capt'n Marth covered Chemistry.