Life Sciences at UofT

smp_11

I've heard a lot about how tough life sciences are at UofT, and how a large number of students drop out the first year. I was accepted into UofT for the fall semester, and was wondering if doing IB adequately prepares you for what lies ahead, and how the workload compares.

I believe times are hard for many students at UofT for the first year, especially engineering and life sciences. My organic chemistry teacher went to UofT for her graduate studies and also said that a large number of undergraduate students drop out the first year, for they are not well-organized, have difficulties living on their own and tend to not focus enough on their work.

At UofT, a good part of the student just got out from Ontarian high schools. I heard (and maybe I'm totally mistaken; that's just what my teacher told me) that it is fairly easy to achieve high grades (+ 95%) in Ontario as the teaching method promotes generous grading. When these students get at UofT, they are confronted to students from all around the world and realize this isn't high school anymore. Here in Quebec, Canada, we have a two-year education between high school and college, so perhaps it gives us more time to make the right choice for university (still, we don't have a Grade 12; it's Grade 10 - Cegep 1 - Cegep 2 - College and we need take regular Cegep courses PLUS IB courses).

For ex-IB students like you and me, the workload should be equivalent, perhaps a bit more. The key to success is planning, so as long as you know where you're going and you're focusing on what you have to do, you'll be fine. IB taught you (I hope so) that a good studying methodology gives good results. A lot of undergraduates at UofT think that college means free-time and liberty. Don't get fooled: focus and don't forget to have fun sometime!

By the way, I was once in your shoes about two months ago when I was admitted in Computer Engineering at UofT, so I went out searching on forums to get a general ideas of what it's like to be a first-year student. I decided to go to McGill University in Joint Honours Comp Sci and Math instead.

Edited by iHubble
  • Like 2