37 ib points ! university choice?

annifridalarsson

Umm you have a lot of interests going on there...

Economics and management, law, and medicine are pretty different fields of study. Pick one of those areas first before you consider universities, because unis are known for different courses and have different entry requirements based on the course of study.

Well, for hardcore Economics, Law and Medicine courses, all top Unis (i.e. Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, King's) want a minimum 38 point prediction. So you just missed it. However, many top Unis will want lower point predictions for less intense courses, I know some Management courses at LSE wants 37/36 points, so that's worth looking into.

However, there are a host of good, reputed Universities that will be happy with 37 points, Warwick would accept students for Economics or Law with a 36 prediction, I believe, or so it was when I applied. The same concerns Cardiff as well. So you might want to look into those two Unis. Insofar as Medicine is concerned, getting in anywhere decent with 37 points is quite dodgy.

However, before jumping on the University bandwagon, I would take strong account of Summer Glau's advice in that you should narrow down on a particular subject. Law, Medicine, and Economics and Management are very far removed from each other with each requiring a different set of skills and subjects and such. So maybe once you're more sure about what you want to study, you can start considering where you'd like to study.

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1

However, there are a host of good, reputed Universities that will be happy with 37 points, Warwick would accept students for Economics or Law with a 36 prediction, I believe, or so it was when I applied. The same concerns Cardiff as well. So you might want to look into those two Unis. Insofar as Medicine is concerned, getting in anywhere decent with 37 points is quite dodgy.

Warwick requires a minimum of 38 for both law and economics (and 6 at maths hl for econ.). Also, for the Economics course, seeing that they had almost 3000 applications for last year's cycle, I'd say there really isn't much hope with a grade lower than 38.

Warwick requires a minimum of 38 for both law and economics (and 6 at maths hl for econ.). Also, for the Economics course, seeing that they had almost 3000 applications for last year's cycle, I'd say there really isn't much hope with a grade lower than 38.

I dunno much about Economics at Warwick, but while I do remember that they want 38 for Law, my offer from Warwick was for 36 points with a 6 in English HL and a 5 in Maths SL. So just putting that out there.

I dunno much about Economics at Warwick, but while I do remember that they want 38 for Law, my offer from Warwick was for 36 points with a 6 in English HL and a 5 in Maths SL. So just putting that out there.

Okay so we agree that the minimum requirement is 38, right? You had a predicted grade of 40+, if I'm not mistaken. The application they saw was one of a student with an excellent personal statement and grades much higher than the minimum required. This doesn't mean that a student with a 36 would be considered. This simply means that they lowered the offer for you in order to choose them over other universities with similar entry requirements.

With 37 points some of the Scottish unis would be a good option... definitely Glasgow is worth a look, and Edinburgh if you would be paying fees (i.e. not a Scottish or EU student - they've been asking for 38+ points although they advertise 34 I think) St Andrews is 38 points for economics, management etc but only 35 for Arts subjects.

Another advantage of the Scottish ones is that they are very flexible in that you take 3 subjects in 1st and 2nd year - you choose other subjects once you're there and can change your actual degree pretty easily. This might explain it a bit better: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug/choosing/degreestructures/Degreeroutes/

As you might have guessed I'm a bit biased towards the Scottish unis! (I'm going to St Andrews next year)