Buying Textbooks

Guest hiddenninja

Guest hiddenninja

Hiii!!

I need help deciding if I should buy textbooks or not.

I'm in Biology HL and Chemistry SL

and we're using books from Pearson.

I've heard good things about Pearson, for example, its very detailed in explanations

but I've also heard that the study guides and course companions are also good in terms of exam revision because they're more concise and answer the assessment statements.

Thus, I'm unsure if the Pearson textbooks are enough :T

And if I do decide to buy extra books

which one should I get?

The study guide or course companion?

Also, is buying these textbooks a good investment for university? in terms of, is the material generally the same and can i still use them?

Long story short, I would like to know your opinion on the matter, and if you've bought any of the books, your experience with them, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey,

This is a really great concise book for biology (both SL and HL): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0199151431/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0199139563&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1XP88GCH2Q75S2SFBRHY

I think that the Pearson's books are fine. Some people complain about their size/amount of content but revising isn't supposed to be a last minute thing. Also, I feel that other than explaining everything really well, the Pearson chemistry book (the only Pearson book that I have) goes off on pretty interesting tangents that have contributed in forming my interest for chemistry.

Make your own notes/word doc. where you answer each (long but worth it) assessment statement from your resources (i.e. more than one). Resources can also include online websites, such as YouTube videos, biology websites or more IB specific biology sites, e.g. http://www.ibguides.com/biology/notes/working-with-data or http://click4biology.info/

Hope this helped,

brof

I would probably not call any IB textbook a good investment for University! After all, what's the point in University if you don't study stuff which is more advanced than what you've already covered at school level? :P No point in paying for exactly the same education twice!

The Course Companion and Study Guide are both very useful for Biology. For Chemistry, I think both are still helpful but neither are overwhelmingly wonderful. If you can borrow them from a library to check them out first, maybe that would be best.

Guest hiddenninja

Thank you so much everyone for your input!!! <3

I shall definitely be making a doc where the statements are answered :)

And I agree completely that university should be teaching more advanced material,

but I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying a lot of money for a new textbook rather than a used one. :T

; A ; why must education be so expensive....

But good idea, I'll try to see if a library carries it!