Moivre's Theorem

Ryan Giggs

Proposition: (cos x + isin x)n = cos nx + isin nx for any positive integer n

First observe that (cos x + isin x)¹= cos 1x + isin 1x.

Assume that the proposition is true for an arbitrary positive integer k, i.e. that

(cos x + isin x)k = cos kx + isin kx

We see that (cos x + isin x)k+1 = (cos x + isin x)(cos x + isin x)k = (cos x + isin x)(cos kx + isin kx) using our assumption.

Now you should be able to simplify this expression the using compound angle formulae. After that you just invoke the principle of mathematical induction and write a fancy-pants statement which completes that proof.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just read through this post and I realized that it is quite a mess. It's late, so I'll blame the lacking grammar and any unclarities on that.

Edited by Sammie Backman

I myself am a little bit confused about the induction. However, I looked the proof up in my textbook and it makes sense - perhaps you could try finding a proof online. What we had to prove was (cos x + isin x)k+1​= cos((k+1)x) + isin((k+1)x).

I think the key is from (cos x + isin x)k+1 = (cos x + isin x)(cos x + isin x)k = (cosx + isinx)(coskx + isinkx) [using the assumption] = cosxcoskx + isinkxcosx + isinxcoskx + i2sinxsinkx = cosxcoskx - sinxsinkx + i(sinkxcosx + sinxcoskx).

Then you have to use your compound angle formulae (which I nearly forgot myself!).

cosxcoskx - sinxsinkx + i(sinkxcosx + sinxcoskx) = cos(x+kx) + i(sin(x+kx)) = cos((k+1)x) + isin((k+1)x).

QED! Hopefully that helps. Sorry for the bad formatting, but it's really the best I can do right now.

Edited by flinquinnster