Are there any physics courses which don't require maths HL?

Jasmeena

Hello!

I was just wondering... Does anyone know if there are any unis in the UK which don't require maths HL when applying to study physics? I don't have HL maths, and I wouldn't like to have it but I LOOOVE PHYSICS and I would really like to study it.

I've been searching day and night but can't seem to find anything. :(

Any help?

Cause I know my strenghts and weaknesses, and maths is deffo not my strenght. My predicted grade so far was a strong 6, even 7, but that doesn't mean that I can take maths HL. I don't know... I just don't think I'll do maths HL so well. That's not my area of interest, nor strenght (as I already said).

I know it requires a lot of maths but still. My teach told me that SL maths should be more than enough. Anything else I'll need to learn, I'll learn in the uni.

But I'm from Croatia, and... we don't have that :D

Cause I know my strenghts and weaknesses, and maths is deffo not my strenght. My predicted grade so far was a strong 6, even 7, but that doesn't mean that I can take maths HL. I don't know... I just don't think I'll do maths HL so well. That's not my area of interest, nor strenght (as I already said).

I know it requires a lot of maths but still. My teach told me that SL maths should be more than enough. Anything else I'll need to learn, I'll learn in the uni.

If maths isn't a strength of yours, how well do you think you'd do at physics in university?

You're either going to have to look a lot more or look for a university that runs a foundation year too.

Most of my friends that aren't taking HL maths are taking A level maths in place of it.

To be honest, A level maths is in no way equivalent to HL maths. It's more along the lines of SL maths, with Further (/Accelerated Further) A level maths being at the same level as HL maths.

Unfortunately UK universities don't seem to recognise this and insist on HL maths for most of the physical areas in science.

• Like 1

If maths isn't a strength of yours, how well do you think you'd do at physics in university?

You're either going to have to look a lot more or look for a university that runs a foundation year too.

I'm doing just fine now and have never had a grade lower than 7 (I'm taking HL, as it's stated in my signature), and I think I'll do great at the uni because I'm ready for all the hard work. And as I said, I have 7 in my maths SL, the teach predicted that (for now). But I got that with my hard work, and not with the born talent or sth. And that's why I'm afraid of taking the HL maths. + my school does not offer it. At all.

I took the books and I plan on doing it during this summer (I'll try and do the year one IB so that I can continue with doing the year two, also in HL, but I'll have to do all the work on my own, as I said, the school doesn't offer maths HL), but still. I really needed someone's help or guidance on this, and by that I mean some recommendations on where to go study, if there is any uni that doesn't require HL maths.

I'm doing just fine now and have never had a grade lower than 7 (I'm taking HL, as it's stated in my signature), and I think I'll do great at the uni because I'm ready for all the hard work. And as I said, I have 7 in my maths SL, the teach predicted that (for now). But I got that with my hard work, and not with the born talent or sth. And that's why I'm afraid of taking the HL maths. + my school does not offer it. At all.

I took the books and I plan on doing it during this summer (I'll try and do the year one IB so that I can continue with doing the year two, also in HL, but I'll have to do all the work on my own, as I said, the school doesn't offer maths HL), but still. I really needed someone's help or guidance on this, and by that I mean some recommendations on where to go study, if there is any uni that doesn't require HL maths.

I'm not doubting your ability to do physics at IB level. I'm talking about university level. The two are different. Physics at university is very maths based. Not the same level HL physics is. For example, to study economics you'd probably need HL maths too.

You didn't say that your school doesn't offer HL maths. You just said that you wouldn't have wanted to take it. If you did... it wasn't clear to me. If that's the case, email the universities you're interested in and tell them your situation and they should let you know whether that can be taken into account or not.

• Like 1