Is this Research Question specific enough?

I would avoid saying "what pricing strategy" because the examiner would then expect you to have a final answer by the end of the EE and you are focusing only on prices. Try using "which are the best economic policies" or something along those lines. That way you can make comparisons too (have the advantages and disadvantages of the policies as evaluation and it could turn out well). Even if the market is perfectly competitive (which I highly doubt), you should suggest that non-price policies could possibly be used but they won't be helpful in the long run. Overall, you should evaluate every possible scenario to have a more complete analysis.

Also, I'm not too sure you should say "lost market share" because then you might have to get into the information of what happened and they lost a stronger place in the market, what was their previous state, etc. You will probably need to do it anyway, but your way suggests that it will be probably part of your introduction (explaning the basic facts) while instead it could be a good tool in evaluation. For instance, when you are suggesting a strategy, you could state that it might not turn out so well because in the past this and this happened and they lost a percentage of the market share. This seems more of a technicality though and it's not as important as my first comment.

My suggestion for the research question would be: "In what types of price and/or non-price competition could company X engage in order to acquire a stronger position in the market (or gain greater market share)?".

• Like 1

Okay my initial question was about the Business And Management HL Internal Assessment. :P

But after what you said about price and non-price competition, I think it could also make a great Economics Extended Essay/Or a Business Extended Essay o.O .

Anyway, thanks a lot. If I do go ahead and do the Internal Assessment on this topic, i'll make sure the 'lost market share' is omitted and make it a part of the overall evaluation.

What pricing strategy should company X use to regain lost market share?

- Be more specific on the pricing strategy, i.e. you can mention in your RQ, "Should Company X adopt price skimming strategies..."

- More detail on "lost market share", i.e give a time details, explain who they lost the share to, and explain reason...

So your RQ could looks something like,"Should Company X adopt new *price skimming strategies* to regain the losses endured during the *2012* market share downfall"

• 7 months later...