Subject choices for psychology?

Eirikur

I am planning to study psychology in uni. and I was wondering if there are any subjects that are essential, or will teach me skills needed to succeed at a psychology course in a university? Psychology is not offered in my school, is that a problem? :dontgetit:

I am planning on taking:

HL

English A1 Language and Literature

History

Social and Cultural Anthropology

SL

Physics

Math

Japanese Ab initio

I am planning to study psychology in uni. and I was wondering if there are any subjects that are essential, or will teach me skills needed to succeed at a psychology course in a university? Psychology is not offered in my school, is that a problem? :dontgetit:

I am planning on taking:

HL

English A1 Language and Literature

History

Social and Cultural Anthropology

SL

Physics

Math

Japanese Ab initio

Ahh so am I!! :D Hopefully we both succeed!

Alright so let me give a bit of info here. The field of psychology, as you know, is dedicated to the scientific study of behaviour. It can be divided into 2 categories:

• Psychology (BA)
  • Psychology (BS)

Both of these courses are offered in universities (at least here in Canada) to undergraduate students. Since they touch on different aspects and cover different elements, they require seperate prerequisites. Let me explain:

Psychology (BA)

Description

Upon graduation, students who take this course will recieve a Bachelor of Arts degree.This program studies more of human psychology such as sociology and exposes you you to other psychological concepts and applications.

Prerequisites recommended to enter course:

English

Jobs:

-Public relations

-Business

-Human Resources

-Social services

-Psychologists or Professional counsellors (upon persuing a PhD degree- Doctor of Philosophy)

Psychology (BS)

Description

Upon graduation, students who take this course will recieve a Bachelor of Science degree. This program touches more on the scientific aspect of psychology such as neurology. It touches on physical sciences.

Prerequisites recommended to enter the course:

-Biology

-Physics

-Chemistry (at least 2 sciences)

-English

Jobs:

-Research assistants

-Lab technicians

-Treatment coordinators

-Phsychiatrists (upon persuing a MD- Medical Degree)

Having said this, if you are planning to study Phsychology (BA) then the classes you have chosen are great! In my opinion, I think, if you had Biology as a course, it may prove to be more useful, nevertheless it seems fine. However, if you are planning to take Phsychology (BS) I would highly suggest you take another science course.

Hopefully this proves you useful :)

Best of Luck! <3

Note: All the information I stated here are from university booklets in Canada, so it may be slightly different from where you are.

• 3 months later...

I'm taking Psychology at higher level. I never took it before the IB, so its rather new to me.

Well, of course I don't know exactly which classes you'd need to take in order to do psychology in university.

It is a science-humanities subject so I think it'd best if you could take a humanities at HL and Biology HL.

The reason why I suggest you to take Biology HL is because some biology content do overlap with psychology.

And the write-up skills in biology are also used in Psychology. (yes you have to do "write-ups" and design experiments unlike other group 3 subjects)

People at my school who are getting into psychology in the future do HL Biology and Psychology...and English (mostly).

So far in psychology class, we've been learning about social behaviour. Therefore, Social and Cultural Anthropology HL would be a good idea.

But also take Biology (at least at standard level) instead of physics.

If you really hate biology then don't bother. I don't like biology but I do like psychology, its very different! You don't need any specific prior knowledge for psychology at university level, especially if you're going to the US. Even in the UK they don't care.

So don't worry about the courses you're taking. :)