What type of extracurricular activities do I need for Georgetown?

SummerAus

I'm an Australian so my teachers/people in general don't know much about uni entry in the USA. Here, the only thing that counts is your final ENTER score, which for me would be my final IB grade. I know in the USA they place a lot more emphasis on obviously SATs and also your high school transcript and extracurricular activities.

Also, even though I was born and have always lived in Australia, I'm an American citizen as well, this means I have the same chances for financial aid as Americans right?

Georgetown is a pretty selective school and lots of people will have very good SAT scores and transcripts. You'll want extracurricular activities that make you stand out as a person and that you can use to show things such as commitment, leadership, and perseverance. And if you have a particular career in mind, extracurriculars related to that can help you stand out. Things such as sports (especially if you've played for a long time or hold a leadership role like captain or manager), service clubs, academic clubs, volunteer experience, church/synagogue/mosque/temple/etc groups (if you're religious), and work experience are good places to start. I'm not saying go out and join ten clubs and just have minimal participation in each of them, no no. Pick a few activities that you're really passionate about and dedicate yourself to them, and show why they matter to you. Get leadership roles in your clubs and teams. Get recommendations from sponsors, bosses, or coaches. Things like that. For me, my volunteer work was very important to me and I made sure I highlighted that in my uni applications, which worked in my favor.

As for financial aid I'm not entirely sure. Seeing as you have American citizenship as well you might be eligible. It never hurts to ask or apply, the unis can only say no.

• Like 2

Yh I thought so, my school doesn't actually offer extracurriculars except for music (I do singing). But this year because I have IB we have sort of had to start instigating some activities to fulfill our CAS requirements. At the moment my list is

Dance (outside of school)

Founding member of Student Council

UNICEF United President and founder

later in the year-Yearbook (editor in chief)

and singing as I said

in past high school years I've done

Gymnastics

Cheerleading:) (National Champion)

Musical Theatre- I was a main part and choreographed the production

Youth Group (at Church)

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Probably good to add some academic clubs but they can be hard as a founder to raise a lot of enthusiasm for

I think you're on the right track. If you can find the time (and I know it's hard, IB is demanding) to do some volunteer work or to get some job experience, it wouldn't hurt. I'd do volunteering before job experience though, but whichever works out for you. I had both. But my job sucked, and I only had it for about 11 months whereas I had volunteer work stretching back six years. And yeah, it would be good to add some academic clubs, but don't join clubs that you won't do anything in. At my school they have a "Math Honor Society" that meets like....three times a year and does nothing. People just join to put it down on their applications. XD Don't do that! It's just a waste of time. So yeah, just one or two. Don't make yourself super busy, but be active and involved. :)