How do I know if I'm capable of surviving IB?

Guest NoodleCats

Guest NoodleCats

So I'm currently in 9th grade, near the end of my first year of Pre-IB. So far I have found my classes far from difficult, but I feel that this is going to cause problems once I enter 11th grade IB. I easily understand most of what we study in class without a problem, and because of this I barely have any need to study. Am I going to lack necessary skills needed for IB?

I know exactly how you feel. All throughout Primary and Middle schooling, I had no troubles with passing: I didn't need to study at all. But, IB is different, as they examinate you on 2 year's worth of stuff from 6 subjects. It's a lot to remember, so studying is improtant (I only started Term 2, year 12 -.-)

Basically, if you have the brains, you're in a good position; it'll be a nice buffer while you get used to the workload. But if ou can get your parents, or close relatives, OR organized friends to give you some advice on how to study, then you'll fly through it. No, seriously, it's not hard knowledge-wise, just workload-wise.

Personally, reading about you (just from your post, I promise - not a stalker), I can tell that with a bit of effort you'll tear it to pieces - it's just gaining that work ethic that's hard. And even if you don't really try, you'll probably still pass. You wouldn't get good marks, but you'd pass.

You've still got a year and a bit. Work on your organization (if you've got a problem with that) and your work ethic and BOOM! You'll be fine.

Trust me, I'm a doctor...well, I diagnosed myself with insanity, so...

GLHF :gamer:

Guest NoodleCats

Thank you for the insight. It has definitely given me some confidence :D. Though the school year is almost over, I plan on trying to develop some real study habits and organization skills as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Everyone is.

Apart from the people who aren't :P

Developing skills for revision is a pretty essential skill and will really help you a lot if you can learn what works for you. As others have said, it's a lot of content to memorise and you need to be confident that you've got the skills to learn it and then spend 2 weeks discharging 2 years worth of stuff onto paper, often with just an evening to revise a whole 2 year's worth the night before! So yeah I'd second illidan101, if you've never had to revise for big exams before, you obviously want to make sure that you're going to be able to do it. Many people have sat large exams (2 years worth of content) before IB and so may be a bit more prepared than you. If you accidentally waste your time revising in an inefficient way, it can cost you the grade you spent 2 years working for.

Basically it's a lot of effort and requires putting a lot of your spare time into IB-related stuff, not necessarily so much in IB1 but definitely in IB2. I'm sure you can do it but it's not very fun for anybody! When I entered the IB I considered anything less than 80% to be pretty naff if I'd actually revised. When IN IB I discovered that actually 80% is like the golden standard in my dreams for some subjects ahah. You'll quickly be pulled down a few pegs - it's saddening but actually helps pull you together a bit more when suddenly what you did no work for requires effort! 40% became not unrealistic, especially when I hadn't revised properly.

So I'm currently in 9th grade, near the end of my first year of Pre-IB. So far I have found my classes far from difficult, but I feel that this is going to cause problems once I enter 11th grade IB. I easily understand most of what we study in class without a problem, and because of this I barely have any need to study. Am I going to lack necessary skills needed for IB?

There's nothing to suggest that, no. If you feel worried you might not be prepared, start reading around class, a year or two ahead; that way by the time you get up to IB1 you should have a running start. It's the one thing that I wish I'd done, instead of slacking off and being bored in our state curriculum before IB.

Edited by Tony Stark

I definitely understand where you are coming from. Throughout middle school, I was pretty smart, if I may say so myself, and I always got good grades even if I didn't really study much. But then IB hit me like a ton of bricks!

I'm only finishing up my first year in IB and I am still learning so many things but I can tell you its nothing like 8,9,10th grade. You learn so much more concepts in a small period of time. Think of it as an amalgamation of concepts dumped on you in two years! (I just really wanted to use that word, but just to let you know, amalgamation = combination of many things together haha)

Anyway, as of tips to help you:

1. Become organized. This will help you in many ways such as note taking, avoiding procrastinating, prevent stress etc... For example, if you rewrite your notes after class, think of it as study time. Some teachers go very fast so I write what they say then after I organize my notes after. This will improve your long term memory, which is more effective then a short term memory. Very useful for memorizing things in certain classes such as Biology and History.
  2. Start developing studying habits. There will be teachers who are crappy at teaching the IB, (well I have some and honestly, I teach myself many concepts that I don't understand from their teaching). Start getting used to doing some work because in IB, the workload is a lot and it will keep on coming like a waterfall. Not gonna lie.
  3. If you can, get ahead! Its pretty early to stress but if you can naturally absorb information easily, use that to your advantage! Some people fall behind because they can't understand certain concepts.Read the IB syllabus for the classes you are planning to take. Get a glimpse of what it will be teaching you and start learning it.

If you got all this down, plus your brains, you will definitely be an amazing IB student!! You can do it!!

Hopefully this helped a little :)

• Like 1