First in my family to go to University?

Stned

Hey!

As I was pouring a cup of coffee for myself (in order to stay awake and write that ghastly history IA.....) it occurred to me that I am, in fact, the first person in my family to go to University (in 2013, IF they accept me, etc.) and I wonder if anyone has any similiar experiences, or that they feel that it helped them somehow? (perhaps they included it in their personal statement?)

Should I include it in my personal statement that I'm the first one of my family to go to Uni? :D Can I benefit from this some how?

-- thanks!

O and K, I asked my mom what the reasons are and she got really mad. She said Uni didn't even cross her mind at the time and that maybe she wasn't intelligent enough :D On the other hand, now that I think about it we do come from a relatively low economical backgroud (in Finnish standards of course), I mean I do get my 100 euros from the government on a monthly basis... Although I don't feel poor :rolleyes:

You think it would work in a personal statement at least?

Edited by Stned

Technically they're meant to take everybody on merit and I think there's a danger that you could be perceived as having a bit of a 'pity me!' sort of thing going on. I don't know of anybody else who's put it down on their personal statement and I think it's more likely to backfire than work with you. Especially as I'm not sure it makes a massive difference to anything except for your ambitions (if your parents have already gone, you're more likely to have the ambition to go yourself). They already know you have the ambition to go to University: you've sent them an application! Your parents not having gone to University affects nothing else about your academic performance or application so it's kind-of a redundant point.

Personally, I wouldn't put it in as I think it is more likely to look cliche and make the admissions team think you're after a sympathy vote when actually, it's something which doesn't really excuse you for anything. I mean is it detrimental to you that your mum and dad didn't go to University beyond the fact that their not going may have made you more disinclined to apply? Nope.

• 3 weeks later...

I also am but I don't think that's gonna benefit me in any way. If you really want to "show off" then maybe you could say it in a jokingly way during your interview or something. As Sandwich has said, I think it'll only make it seem to universities that this person is trying to get attention.

I wouldn't recommend stating that in your personal statement, but if you apply to the US using the Common App (which is similar to the UK-equivelant UCAS) there is a little ticky box that asks if you're the first generation to go to university. Rumour has it that US unis really like first-gen kids, especially if the uni offers need-based aid.

So if I were you, I'd put it on the Common App, but for your personal statement talk about your achievements instead. :)