Error for Tables

Shorty

My teacher got us to do our first lab, which also happens to be a formal lab, and the requested us to do % error for our tables.

I understand how to do them but what I do not understand is if I'm suppose to do it for every single measurement I did, I probably should have done this during class but I didn't cross my mind until now and I was busy collecting my data :)

I'm doing a lab on the Ideal Curves of Phase Change of a Pure Substance (Ice/Water) I think I'm suppose to calculate all of the different temperatures I had and then add the % up.

Like if I had -1,0,1,2 °C I just calculate those % error then add then I have the error for table right?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Shorty' post='14509' date='Apr 5 2008, 07:57 PM']My teacher got us to do our first lab, which also happens to be a formal lab, and the requested us to do % error for our tables.

I understand how to do them but what I do not understand is if I'm suppose to do it for every single measurement I did, I probably should have done this during class but I didn't cross my mind until now and I was busy collecting my data :P

I'm doing a lab on the Ideal Curves of Phase Change of a Pure Substance (Ice/Water) I think I'm suppose to calculate all of the different temperatures I had and then add the % up.

Like if I had -1,0,1,2 °C I just calculate those % error then add then I have the error for table right?

Thanks[/quote]

Yeah, you need to calculate the perecent error and/or uncertainity from the measuring instrument for your collected data, and then do a Taylor Propagation of error to derive the corresponding error for each calculated value. You should read Errors and Propagation by Taylor. A great and cheap textbook for anyone considering a natural sciences course of study.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think you would only need to show ONE calculation of how you obtained the percentage error in the prac report but unless you are concerned with the accuracy of your results, you wouldn't need to calculate every single one of them.

Edited by babakren