Can you choose singing for IB music?

Karacel24g

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a singer in IB Music HL! :) They grade you on the difficulty of your song and the 'IB'-ness of it... For example, if I were to sing a song like Mary Had a Little Lamb pitch perfectly, I wouldn't get as high a score on it as a song like the Queen of the Night aria sung with mistakes because 'Mary had a little lamb' is such an easy song to sing. Queen of the Night is the most difficult aria in the world and is also a foreign classical piece, so the IB would take a preference to that. They'll take into account the level of difficulty the song is and by listening can tell if the song is too easy or too hard for you and mark you accordingly. Granted you won't receive a good score if you're completely tone deaf either. The IB also wants you to sing a variety of songs with different backgrounds, so if you gave them all pop songs you won't receive a good score either. I recommend a mélange of classical (either opera or art song), Broadway/jazz and a song in the style that you like the best.

It's actually quite hard to get a 7 in IB Music. While IB Art has much more homework, IB Music has virtually no work except for composing. To get a 7, you must be more than proficient at analysing a piece of music for its elements (instrumentation, rhythm, etc.), compose between 9 and 20 minutes of original music and perform an instrument or voice well. It's harder than it seems!

Edited by The Economist
Merged with next topic.