What would an computer engineering/computer sceince be like?

l0stboy

I think it's my main field of intrest. I already know Java, but I'm just not sure that I find it entirely "fun." I seem to love the application of the pure sciences like chemistry and physics a lot more, but I want to incorporate computers into it as well. What would be a good career plan for that? Which schools would be good picks in the U.S? I live on the east coast, so I'm thinking Georgia Tech is my best bet.

I can't really recommend any schools for you, but I can provide some advice for topics you may want to look into.

In your title you mentioned computer engineering, keep in mind that this is not quite the same as computer science or software engineering. Computer engineering is more like the intersection between computer science and electrical engineering, involving the design of computer systems, often the integration of software and hardware systems.

If you're looking to apply computer science to the sciences, I would recommend looking into numerical analysis and how it can be applied to performing complex calculations for scientific applications. You'll want to look at mathematical and statistical models for physical systems as well as designing computer simulations. Machine learning is another subfield with very relevant applications in the sciences. Just a few things you might expect to find useful for scientific computing.

I'm sorry, this doesn't really answer your question but hopefully it'll be somewhat useful.

• Like 1

It's very useful information nonetheless! I do indeed enjoy computers, but I'm just not sure if I'd want to work staring a the screen all day. Would majoring in biomedical or chemical engineering and minoring in computer science be a good idea for me then? Obviously what I'm saying isn't concrete. I just want to know more about how these fields are like. Basically, I'm trying to really pin point what I'd really enjoy.

It's very useful information nonetheless! I do indeed enjoy computers, but I'm just not sure if I'd want to work staring a the screen all day. Would majoring in biomedical or chemical engineering and minoring in computer science be a good idea for me then? Obviously what I'm saying isn't concrete. I just want to know more about how these fields are like. Basically, I'm trying to really pin point what I'd really enjoy.

Depends on what you want to focus on, really. If your intent is to focus on the actual biomedical or chemical engineering, I could see that being a good combination, seeing as you'd acquire the skills to apply computer science in your particular discipline.